Freshness Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
How did you find your muses?
Offline 09-09-2015, 04:03 AM
Reply: #1
How did you find your muses?
I've seen a lot of people on the boards discuss their main muses on here. I've always wondered how people "find" their muses (considering I'm still trying to get my feet wet and find one myself).
So, how did you guys find your muse? Personal connection to the character? Experimentation? Or did you just pick a character and roll with it?

[Image: wOGGEID.png]
[Image: monstercat_phones_by_gamebuster911-d8sxy7m.gif]
MP: Huh? Sorry, I had my headphones on.
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 09-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Reply: #2
RE: How did you find your muses?
For me, John wasn't actually my first choice. I was really anxious to start roleplaying, but most of the trolls looked really daunting to me. I sucked at memorizing things like quirks and puns, so I was attracted to the "easier" characters. For me that was Tavros and Kankri.
With Tavros, his quirk the modifier could pick up most of the slack, and all I'd have to worry about was getting his mentality right. Kankri was very much the same idea, though he was arguably more work, i really like Kankri, and kinda just got him? Kankri also didn't seem to use as much troll lingo, which was a bonus, he used philosophical terms and tumblr buzzwords, which made him just really easy for me to fluff up his banter with.

The problem with Tavros was, he usually got taken a lot in places that didn't allow doubles, and the problem with Kankri was he took time for me to write up, and even when I did, most people didn't care to rp with him.
I decided to do John, more or less on a whim one day. Tavros was taken, but John out of all the kids seemed the simplest and.......ever since he just kinda...grew on me.

It helped, that, my first time rping John I snagged a long term partner, which made me intricately more invested in playing him, far beyond Kankri or Tavros.

I didn't start dabbling with Rose till later, on and off, she's my second best, but not as well studied as John IMO. When I commit, i motherfucking COMMIT.

Writing has helped me want to branch out with more characters, like Bro, Karkat, and Dave. Actually, I've been having a growing Dave muse for a really long time and might start parping with him...Maybe one day, even Dirk will be within my reach. Wistful sigh.

♥ Sylph of Heart ♥
☆ INFP | Leo | Prospit ☆
Find me on: Tumblr | Twitter
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 09-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Reply: #3
Ah, my beautiful muse, Terezi.
Honestly, she is just my favourite character, I looked up some tutorials on how to roleplay as her and found some funny modifiers to get my feet wet when I first started out on parp.

[Image: CzObb1v.jpg]
Offline 09-09-2015, 07:43 AM (This reply was last modified: 09-09-2015 07:44 AM by LostRefrain.)(Edited by LostRefrain.)
Reply: #4
[Image: mug.png]
source

-sets out the fake virtual tea once again-
I have an unreasonably long story to share c':
Won't even be editing it, so I'm terribly sorry if you do decide to actually read it

Mmm, that's about it! Thanks for reading, and I'm still sorry if you actually did c':
[Image: tumblr_mja93mJRNf1rt49uno1_250.gif]
source

[Image: PRo9SZp.png]
Offline 09-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Reply: #5
Well, I mostly just like to rp as my favorite characters, which are all somewhat similar to me (a.k.a. share a few traits with me), so yeah, it does have something to do with connections. I still try to rp some other characters at times though.

[Image: giphy.gif]
You fukin wot m8?
Offline 09-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Reply: #6
The first time I roleplayed on Msparp, I was in denial about [S]Game Over. I believe I was "In a sea of strawberry faygo!carcinoGeneticist", which was about the silliest way I could've remedied Karkat's death. After that, I think I just grew to regard Jade Harley as my absolute favorite, so I just tried it out. I don't have much recollection of my first log as Jade, but apparently it went well because as of right now she's the only character that I can confidently say I'm good at roleplaying. Not to say it still doesn't need a tiny bit of work, though.
Offline 09-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Reply: #7
(09-09-2015 07:43 AM)LostRefrain Wrote:  
[Image: mug.png]
source

-sets out the fake virtual tea once again-
I have an unreasonably long story to share c':
Won't even be editing it, so I'm terribly sorry if you do decide to actually read it

Mmm, that's about it! Thanks for reading, and I'm still sorry if you actually did c':
[Image: tumblr_mja93mJRNf1rt49uno1_250.gif]
source

I have to say, I did read all of this, and it gave me a bit of a boost. :3 *takes tea*
I've been thinking about trying out the Signless a bit (mostly as a method acting role for a cosplay I'm doing), but I'm not sure. He's the only one I tested out in a Guild RP a while back, but I haven't touched him since then. I'm not sure though, since I know Signless is kind of a herald character and I'd be slaughtered if I played him wrong.
I might pick up Sollux. I dunno. Still, I'll probably get my feet wet sometime soon.

I like the stories, though! Thanks for sharing! ^u^

[Image: wOGGEID.png]
[Image: monstercat_phones_by_gamebuster911-d8sxy7m.gif]
MP: Huh? Sorry, I had my headphones on.
Offline 09-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Reply: #8
Well I only really roleplay Nepeta and Tavros. I first tried Nepeta because she is silly, cute, cat-like, and one of my favorite characters, but I'm not all that good at being her. I tried Tavros next, since we are kinda similar, I think I am somewhat decent at rping him because we are both alike. I still kinda suck with rp, but I'll get better with practice :)

[Image: tumblr_mp633gEWGa1sqw6q1o7_400.gif]
Offline 09-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Reply: #9
(09-09-2015 09:20 AM)metallumPhilosopher Wrote:  I have to say, I did read all of this, and it gave me a bit of a boost. :3 *takes tea*
I've been thinking about trying out the Signless a bit (mostly as a method acting role for a cosplay I'm doing), but I'm not sure. He's the only one I tested out in a Guild RP a while back, but I haven't touched him since then. I'm not sure though, since I know Signless is kind of a herald character and I'd be slaughtered if I played him wrong.
I might pick up Sollux. I dunno. Still, I'll probably get my feet wet sometime soon.

I like the stories, though! Thanks for sharing! ^u^

Oh!
I've been playing little else but the signless for the past couple of months actually- mostly on flaping and random connections- but you know.

The thing I actually quite like about most of the ancestors is there's some pretty good room for interpretation. You have the most note worthy facts about their lives from canon Homestuck mentions and Mindfang's journal, and you have a pretty good idea of what some of their very base personality traits may be from their alternates on before (the dancestors), but aside from Condy and Mindfang, I'm pretty certain you have no canon dialogue to work with. Sort of like sawtooth or the felt crew members.

[Image: PRo9SZp.png]
Offline 09-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Reply: #10
Well, it took a bit to find mine, which is painfully ironic, as it were.

When I first started RPing, back just before the pause ended in April, I was obsessed with the Vantas family and Striders. I just thought they were the coolest. I mean, I loved everybody, and I can do them all fairly well I think, but I really wanted to start getting in character with them. So I started with Karkat.

Wow. Just wow. Pretty fucking awful barely covers it, I think. That lasted all of a few hours before I realized just being a sarcastic prick wasn't going to cut it. I thought about how fast I could type and how to use that. So, I did a lot of research and read a lot of RP guides and mastered fairly quickly the art of Kankri. I used him for quite a while, before realizing I wanted to do the Striders. It was different from the Vantas family, somehow. I just needed to try it and go for it.

Dave didn't go so hot. I didn't understand him nearly as well as I thought I did, and I really needed practice to grasp and master him. Read a few guides, such like that. So then next on the list was Dirk.
That was it for me. He just clicked, I understood him like he was me, and it just came freely. I didn't even read a single guide for him till recently. Just reading his logs and inserting myself was enough.

Acting is truth, after all. It helps when you're not even acting. Look for something true to you, and it will play itself out if you help it.

[Image: Bro-3.gif]
Sure you want me?

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)