Freshness Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Most hurtful thing you've been told in an RP session?
Offline 09-08-2015, 05:08 AM
Reply: #11
RE: Most hurtful thing you've been told in an RP session?
I was once told that I'm a piece of trash and that I shouldn't be roleplaying. They proceeded to tell me all of the reasons for why I was shit at what I was doing. This was ages and ages ago, but it's still pretty hard hitting.

i am a lump of coal in your stocking

(04-11-2015 01:57 AM)inexplicablyGhastly Wrote:  Slow down there, Satan. That's enough feels for the day.

Kinks: character development, angst, feels

Pronouns: she/her
x1(list)
Find all replies by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 09-08-2015, 05:12 AM
Reply: #12
Well fuck I take it back. That has to be the worst feeling ever. I'm so sorry that even happened to you. What the hell even possess a person to do that?

Sure you want me?
x1(list)
Offline 09-08-2015, 05:43 AM
Reply: #13
Well, I was pretty shit back then. I'm still not that good, but I try to get better, and I guess in a way it was a good thing. Keeps me trying to improve, although sometimes I backslide and have a short 'fuck my life my rp is shit' period.

(04-11-2015 01:57 AM)inexplicablyGhastly Wrote:  Slow down there, Satan. That's enough feels for the day.

Away 09-08-2015, 05:53 AM
Reply: #14
that still doesn't give anyone the right to say that though! even if you don't like a style someone is rping, or if you think they need a little improvement, you can say so in a polite way! you can help them instead of making nasty comments which deflate their confidence + possibly make them try even less instead of encouraging them n adding another gr8 per to our midst because now they have FAITH in their abilities and will keep trying!
-.-

LIMITED EDITION ROLALPLAYER OF THE SHITTIEST FINEST QUALITY
warning: risk of death by laughter, huggles, and inability to shut up. friendliness guarantee may be broken if you {insult her friends, are a douche}. mental issues may apply.
Offline 09-08-2015, 06:04 AM
Reply: #15
lonelyDreamer Wrote:Well, I was pretty shit back then. I'm still not that good, but I try to get better, and I guess in a way it was a good thing. Keeps me trying to improve, although sometimes I backslide and have a short 'fuck my life my rp is shit' period.

Man, no. Sorry, but it sort of pisses me off that this can be perceived as some sort of good thing. There's a difference between constructive criticism and just trashing somebody. I mean, sure, if someone wants to point out x could be better, or you could improve upon y, it can be pretty upsetting, but at least they're attempting to help you.

Telling you you're a piece of trash and shouldn't be roleplaying? That is the highest form of bullshit. I'm glad you did continue, because nothing you enjoy should be messed up by a person like that. Anything causing you to backslide and have a bad period isn't helpful, it's hurtful, and you shouldn't have to deal with that.

There. I think I'm a tad calmer now. Sorry to just blurt that out, but I can't just acknowledge that someone acting like that is a 'good thing'.

Sure you want me?
Offline 09-08-2015, 06:14 AM
Reply: #16
It's cool. Thanks for saying that... I do tend to internalize things and justify it, I have a few issues of my own.

Offline 09-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Reply: #17
Once I had a ref page for my OC Metrio. I admit that it wasn't that good... But while I had it up everyone told me that it was shit. It's not my fault I'm not good at art!

I RP John Egbert, Fefetasprite and Nepeta Lejion . You can see me RPing my three OCs: ir0nicEye (Metri0), CANINECRUSADER (CANISS), and unde@d@rgon@ut (sirius)
Offline 09-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Reply: #18
Ouch!! That really sucks.

Offline 09-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Reply: #19
I don't think I've ever been told something so directly rude as any of these, but I've caught a lot of backhanded passive aggressive comments.

I think the most direct thing I remember was, while playing CAH, a Jane rper made a comment ooc like "Reminder that Crockerberts use perfect grammar." But it miffed me at the time because, I was the only other person they could have been talking to, and it's not as if I was completely omitting his quirk.

My grammar has always been a sensitive area for me, and I still struggle with it to this day, but it didn't come across even a smidgen as constructive, as much as it did callous.

But that's the only real critiscm i've gotten with my John. Nepeta, however, I've felt it twice. Once with a Caliborn rper, and yes, while I recognize it IS Caliborn, I could hear the mun start to do that thing where they speak through the character without doing ooc brackets, but basically the Caliborn said "Nepeta doesn't use that many puns" or something to that effect, and it miffed me, again, but more like frightened me I guess?

I stopped rping her for a very long time after that, as puns were one of my biggest struggles. Then I started up again, only to see a post that may or may not have been directed to me, talking about Nepeta's who "over pun" and try too hard and it's just. :///

This time I directly commented on the post, and they had immediately switched tactics by being more defensive, but that just made it more obvious at the time that they were directing it at me and adfghjl;.

The point is, I'm just really hypersensitive, and while I recognize the good in constructive criticism...no one ever seems to really be CONSTRUCTIVE. It never feels constructive when I read stories like this or hear about people, it always just turns into people feeling entitled to the idea that everyone has to be on their A game at all times around other people, and that there can be no learning curve at all without being ridiculed and it's frustrating.

I don't even feel like I got anything that bad, but even this much can hurt me, I dare not imagine how devastatingly worse behaviors has hurt others.

♥ Sylph of Heart ♥
☆ INFP | Leo | Prospit ☆
Find me on: Tumblr | Twitter
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Offline 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Reply: #20
While I haven't had something incredibly negative thrown at me (if I have, I highly doubt I remember it), I have a tendency to try criticizing people privately, in hopes that I can help them... I try to push people to think about their OCs and canon characters, and improve upon them, and sometimes, I end up being rather negative. It's mainly to people who show up in my roleplays (which are normally paragraph or semi-paragraph) and have abysmal grammar and can hardly write a word without misspelling it.. And only post strings of 5-7 words in a reply.

[Image: PML1RdN.gif]

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)