Freshness Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 5 Average
How to Properly Paragraph: The (not actually) travel sized Guide
Offline 10-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Reply: #11
RE: How to Properly Paragraph: The (not actually) travel sized Guide {WIP}
OH MY GOD THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE GLUB GOSH.

IM kidding, ily and your guides bb

Beans: Brb giving blowjobs for my daily nutrition
Find all replies by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 12-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Reply: #12
RE: How to Properly Paragraph: The (not actually) travel sized Guide
Can I just say that this is absolutely exquisite? I love how you showed different types of godmodding so some people actually know what it is, how detailed it is to let people understand better.

To sum it up, I love this and will most likely be looking at it every time I paragraph roleplay.
Wonderful job!
Offline 02-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Reply: #13
I got a question on this the other day, so I figured why not? Bump! :0

[Image: usDxVcS.png]
Offline 02-09-2016, 05:55 AM
Reply: #14
*cries because gr8 guide is gr8/8*

[Image: Bro-3.gif]
Sure you want me?
Offline 02-09-2016, 05:58 AM
Reply: #15
Wh yY HAVENT I SEEN THIS YET
Offline 02-28-2016, 05:48 AM
Reply: #16
ahhh! as someone who is trying to dip their feet back in multi-para after a few months of more relaxed roleplaying, this was a great refresher! thank you :D!

[Image: MGIj7XW.png]
i ♥ bdsm
(bad dreams and sinful memes)
Offline 04-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Reply: #17
okay, this is super great and i really think ill try to take it all to heart as i try to learn how to rp in paragraph style (all for one group chat that i want to apply to tbh), but im wondering how important you guys think it is to try and match the writing style and tone of your partner? i mean, from the sound of it, matching their tone would be pretty important, but writing style seems a bit more iffy. like, is it supposed to sound like one big story written by just one person, or is it alright if the whole thing doesnt flow from person to person too well?

CG: IS THIS A METAPHOR?
TG: no this is me being locked in a closet
Offline 05-01-2017, 07:23 PM (This reply was last modified: 05-01-2017 07:24 PM by Glub.)(Edited by Glub.)
Reply: #18
(04-18-2017 11:21 AM)confusedCaretaker Wrote:  okay, this is super great and i really think ill try to take it all to heart as i try to learn how to rp in paragraph style (all for one group chat that i want to apply to tbh), but im wondering how important you guys think it is to try and match the writing style and tone of your partner? i mean, from the sound of it, matching their tone would be pretty important, but writing style seems a bit more iffy. like, is it supposed to sound like one big story written by just one person, or is it alright if the whole thing doesnt flow from person to person too well?

Hi, CC! Sorry for the late reply.

Matching the tone to some extent is important, but I don't think that adapting your partner's writing style (or vice versa) is completely necessary. If you discuss it with your RP partner beforehand and you both agree that you should write in a similar style, then by all means: have at it!

Generally, for casual RPs (such as those you find on random connections), matching the style of your partner isn't expected whatsoever. It isn't expected in group chats either. In fact, I think the idea of "matching the style in which your partner writes" is pretty obscure. This is the first time I'm hearing about it at all, actually.

RP is generally not supposed to flow like a story. If you read the posts consecutively, it's usually pretty easy to tell who is who. When you read a story, the POV is usually static and fixed on one character, while in RP, it switches around. Different characters have different ways of thinking, which leads to different narrative voices. People write differently as well, which makes writing styles even more diverse in RP. Tone varies depending on the character as well, as an optimistic character will generally think happier thoughts and, therefore, view the world as less grim. The narration will follow this outlook, and reflect the character. The magnitude of the reflection depends on the writer. It's pretty easy to write in a dull, flat tone with little to no characterization in the narration surrounding dialogue.

As long as you match the general tone of your partner, it should be fine. In urgent situations, switch to urgent adverbs. In happy situations, make your narration happy. In sad situations, use emotional language, and etc...

tl;dr: Matching your partner's writing style is a cool idea, but unless both of you want to do it, don't go out of your way to try matching them. Matching tone (to some extent) would be recommended, though!

Offline 05-02-2017, 06:08 AM
Reply: #19
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS!!!!.

I'm definitely taking some of this to heart and i know for a fact this is going to help me whenever i write/type. thank you so much for this guide, its extremely helpful.

[Image: a03b48828c4035fe6c3338a25ce0892f.jpg]

"The Stars Are Beautiful Tonight, Don't You Think?"
Offline 05-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Reply: #20
You're welcome! I'm glad to know that people are still finding use in it :>

Board jump: