Freshness Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Would this be insensitive?
Offline 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM (This reply was last modified: 02-06-2013 06:47 AM by Clawkind.)(Edited by Clawkind.)
Reply: #1
Would this be insensitive?
I made an OC last night, and I have a question about her quirk. The first part of her quirk is to replace "ll" with "11"; the atomic number of Sodium. Her username is sodicGalvanizer, and she lives besides the ocean with her seagull-themed lusus, hence the emphasis on Sodium. Her second theme is based on the Alkali Metals.

The question is about the second part of her quirk. She replaces "e" with "3" because seagulls lay three eggs, and also because it is the atomic number of Lithium. Lithium is an Alkali Metal, but more importantly it is used as a mood elevator, or a mood balancer. The problem here is that it is primarily used to treat Bipolar Disorder (though it does treat other things). This is where I am a little conflicted. The reason this relates to her is because her psychic ability is beyond her control, and changes her personality drastically and suddenly, turning irritable and violent. I do not want to offend people who suffer from Bipolar Disorder, and this personality swap isn't meant to represent people who suffer from it. The connection is not about Bipolar Disorder, but instead about a predominantly elevated, expansive, irritable mood in general (something that Lithium treats).

I'm wondering if this would be offensive, or if I should get rid of it completely. I would rather not do that because I think it fits her themes well. However, if it is truly degrading then I will be willing to do so.

Sorry if this is confusing. Feel free to ask questions.
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply
Offline 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Reply: #2
RE: Would this be insensitive?
Hey sweet my psych classes come in handy. Lithium is used to treat a LOT of things actually, not just Bipolarism. It's basically a mood elevator and balancer in general. So you wouldn't be pointing just them out.

More importantly, it's not something that will come up regularly in roleplay, so the people who might be offended is quite a small pool. On top of that, there's maybe one in a good load of people who are going to have bipolar disorder, and even less those who will be that sensitive about it.

Something to think about as well is Sollux Captor, I mean seriously. He's literally listed as having Bipolarism with a quirk that reflects this. If 3 being a reference to a mood treatment is going to be rude, then they probably shouldn't talk to Sollux either since his 2's are all a reference to a misrepresented disorder. You're basically fine, go forth, play, if anyone gets offended you can apologize for the issue and leave the RP and that's the end of that.

You can catch me on my roleplaying tumblr as whoawaitwhatrp, I'm usually playing Eridan, Dave, Karkat or Dualscar, but I play just about anyone. Oh I also write RPedia which is a help-blog for roleplayers!
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Offline 02-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Reply: #3
(02-05-2013 06:27 PM)Cat Wrote:  Hey sweet my psych classes come in handy. Lithium is used to treat a LOT of things actually, not just Bipolarism. It's basically a mood elevator and balancer in general. So you wouldn't be pointing just them out.

More importantly, it's not something that will come up regularly in roleplay, so the people who might be offended is quite a small pool. On top of that, there's maybe one in a good load of people who are going to have bipolar disorder, and even less those who will be that sensitive about it.

Something to think about as well is Sollux Captor, I mean seriously. He's literally listed as having Bipolarism with a quirk that reflects this. If 3 being a reference to a mood treatment is going to be rude, then they probably shouldn't talk to Sollux either since his 2's are all a reference to a misrepresented disorder. You're basically fine, go forth, play, if anyone gets offended you can apologize for the issue and leave the RP and that's the end of that.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful. I'm happy to hear that Lithium can be used as a general mood elevator, because I had been told (by an unreliable source now that I think about it) that Lithium's only real use was treating manic episodes in Bipolar people specifically. I felt bad because I wanted to reference mood elevation period, not make it seem like I'm making fun of a disorder. Once again, thank you very much.
Offline 02-06-2013, 04:34 AM
Reply: #4
i was diagnosed with major depression and anxiety, and will definitely be diagnosed with bipolar when im of age. for some reason, the people in my state wont diagnose bipolar until youre 18?? but my great grandmother, grandmother, and mom suffer from it, and i show exact signs of bipolar, blah blah stuff you dont care about here. i get extremely irritable and anxious out of nowhere, and had violent thoughts along with the irritability. medicine helped but THATS NOT WHAT IM HERE TO TALK ABOUT SO shhhh rash, shhhh

from my perspective, i dont feel like its offensive or insensitive at all. i actually like the idea; its clever imo, and i think i would enjoy interacting with her. however, id like to say that it seems like she suffers from schizoaffective disorder. i study psychology on my own, and in my opinion, think that it would be appropriate to possibly classify her personality issue/s.

tl;dr, your oc is cool and ready 2 go

i am john dad sollux tricksters casey kidd(oc)
johndave/nepaya
Offline 02-06-2013, 06:31 AM (This reply was last modified: 02-06-2013 06:32 AM by Clawkind.)(Edited by Clawkind.)
Reply: #5
Aah, thank you! That is really nice to hear. Like I said, I wasn't trying to imply that her personality swap represents Bipolar Disorder. It's that Lithium is used as a mood balancer, so I thought it would be fitting since she has trouble balancing her mood. I was also thinking that when her psychic ability starts acting up she might stop replacing e with "3" to show that her mood is no longer balanced.

Also, wow! I hadn't even thought about Schizoaffective Disorder! That really does fit her well.
Offline 02-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Reply: #6
It doesn't seem like a problem to me, I doubt anyone would be offended.

i rp nepeta, meulin, and the disciple
Offline 02-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Reply: #7
Speaking on behalf of perhaps four or five bipolar people, I really don't see what there is to be offended about. I mean, if you were writing a news story in a real life newspaper about how someone's bipolar disorder turned them into a deudly killer without considering any other factors, then yeah, that might be offensive. Or if you were creating a narrative where the main characteristic of the villain was that they had bipolar disorder and that caused them to act evil, yeah, that wouldn't be too cool. But this is not really offensive at all, as far as I can tell. Especially because you're making a reference through association with Lithium, not presenting a character and saying, EVERYTHING SHE DOES IS BECAUSE SHE'S BIPOLAR!!!!1

Then again, if the people who are RPing with you have actually read Homestuck, they've already had to deal with characters like Sollux, as mentioned above, as well as Jake, Mituna, Gamzee.

Also, from your description, she sounds like a seadweller, i.e. the most unstable caste a troll can possibly be. If she is given to unstable, irritable moods, then you are doing Homestuck right. Here's hoping she can find herself a moirail!

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)