Freshness Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.83 Average
Jake Guide V.2: THE SPIFFY VERSION!!
Offline 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM (This reply was last modified: 02-11-2013 07:33 AM by golgothasTerror.)(Edited by golgothasTerror.)
Reply: #1
Jake Guide V.2: THE SPIFFY VERSION!!
OH SHIT Jake guide complete overhaul v.2 coming at you.
Because the other one was improperly set up.
I kick that old version in the well formed patoot!

Anyhow. Before we can actually cover Jake in particular, we have to handle how to undergo covering a character with an accent in general. 

CHARACTERS WITH ACCENTS:

They are characters.
But with accents.
They are not extraterrestrials only capable of feeling one emotion and that emotion is hot stud.
No.
They can joke, they can be serious, They are human.
This applies to characters with differing intelligence levels too.
In order to properly do a character with an accent, you have to look behind the peculiar vocabulary and formulate the individual character. THEN you add on the neologism from christmas past and make everything turn into straight up jollifications round the block.
In terms of Jake, think John for a basis. They're actually very VERY similar to the point where many of his phrases are completely usable in John's speech. For those who have forgotten, ghostyTrickster was actually John's original username before switching it to ectoBiologist. All of the thanks to Terezi for that one.

Moreover, Jake has SO MANY MISCONCEPTIONS MADE ABOUT HIM THROUGH THE FANBASE that I actually have to SLAP HIS CHARACTER FACTS DOOOWN.
Seriously.
Guys.
Read the comic.
Makes your lives easier.

HOW TO NOT RUN OVER THIS KID THROUGH MISCONSTRUED CHARACTER ATTRIBUTES: THE FACTGEDDON:
  • Jake swears a whole friggin lot actually hell.
  • Jake does not use proper punctuation. He leaves the commas out of it because no one has time for that. HE ALSO CAPITALIZES TO EXPRESS EXTREME DISTRESS OR OTHERWISE UNPLEASANT EMOTIONS!!
  • He also does in fact use emotes every so often! :0 :D
  • Jake is only a gentleman in theory. If you pull the "Gosh i cannot do this because *blushu blushu* thats so lood" act i will punch you, witch. I may even kick your can.
  • Jake had a naked blue girl as his cell phone background and makes out with his posters. He imagined quite the scenario with Aranea and jumped onto the assumption that Jane had THAT SORTA dream about him.
    Hes best friends with dirk. He also catches wise to Roxy's innuendos. Do not have him play total innocent baby. The response is not immediate *GLASSES FOG FAINTS BECAUSE MY SENSIBILITIES BROKE.*
  • JAKE IS NOT AN IDIOT, He's only judged by the wrong book. Contrary to popular belief, Jake spends almost all of his time indoors watching films and reading comics. About adventure. Not. Actually doing adventury stuff. When he does, he desecrates tombs and fucks around in caverns and occasionally fights robots. Anyway. He knows trivia from ALL of the films he has watched, and he knows trivia from that plethora of comics. He's able to replicate Dirk's personality in its entirety in his sleep. He's awful at communication and he doesn't know classic things like the Uroburos. He's also awful at time. But he does know who Taft was. And he does know some things from when Jade was alive. He also learns very quickly when corrected and has the potential of a god. I'm going to challenge you something here. Assume that Jake is every bit as smart as Dirk. Just in a quirkier way.
  • JAKE CALLS DIRK BRO IN IMMEDIATE CONVERSATION NOT MR. STRIDER.(hiss)
  • If you use crikey or chap or jimminie cricket i am so flabbergasted u punk in your vernacular, the can kicking is 100000% certain for you.
    If you roll with an Australian accent or British accent despite my next point, that's totally okay! Just please. I beg of you. Research the accents IN FULL first. Don't use stereotypical terminology.
  • *MOST IMPORTANT POINT*

From what we can see, Jake's accent is most closely aligned with that of the American South. Colonel Sassacre is characterized as being a southern mildly offensive jokester type, who raised both Jake and Jane originally. Guess where people get their accents from. Also, you know that one thing Jake does? That. Friggin thing. Well, with a southern accent, the g is typically dropped in pronunciation. His text leads to the impression that he speaks quickly. Sometimes a southern accent lends itself to slowness. Sometimes, it can indeed be pretty fast. Like. Say. Matthew Mcconaughey's speaking style. Something common in old British literature is the heavy, HEAVY usage of punctuation, in contrast something characteristic in old American literature is light punctuation and large, explicit sentences. Fisticuffs did originate in the United Kingdom, but in the 19th century it gained popularity in the US. I like to believe Jake's correspondent wrestler was Jake Kilrain, which actually had quite the showdown with one John Sullivan. In the US. This is one of those cute things in Homestuck. Classy old timey boxers are the equivalents to geeky movie boyz. And finally, we have the usage of phrases like:
  • Boy howdy.
  • Dag nabit.
  • Rootin tootin.
  • Robotic buttwhoopin.
  • Gumption to withstand another round of needy overtures. and
  • Poor fella.

Aye carumba.

Now that less than pleasant ordeal is over i can finally get to who this kid REALLY is! :D
So jake kind of has this *very attractive* way of speaking in which he uses long sentences and very quirky vernacular! Its just unfortunate that his sheer amount of swagger and panache has to hurt him so.
Boo hoo.
Hoo hoo hoo.
He will talk in partials every so often but they are rare because he knows things that he knows and he wont load on the "it seeeeems" much because lets face it its way too computer like. For ideas for this kids vernacular and phrasing which is splendiferous in nature look up old timey novels. Of course half the time this brat doesnt even use real words and phrases. He makes them up because he lacks the vocabulary for them.

Speaking of computers.

Friggin lil HAL.
The jerk!! For the longest time jake couldnt even speak with his best friend because the thing would imitate his actual best bro and prevent him from speaking with his actual best bro who IS AN ACTUAL PERSON AND NOT A CONFOUNDED CONTRAPTION WHO LACKS FEELINGS. Probably. If you were heartless enough to separate jake from his best best best best bro in the whole wide time separated worlds you would *simply HAVE* to be feelingless!! So jake was a bit insensitive towards him. He learned a bit! But then he went southward again because if you were hounded at day in and day out by a highly flirtatious fake bro in place of your real bro when ALL YOU WANT IN THE WORLD IS FOR THIS BOT OF HIS IS TO STOP KICKING YOUR PREMIUM BEHIND. Wouldnt you get just a bit angry?

Yes. Yes you would.

Now. As for actual dirk. Notice how i emphasized the words BEST and BRO up there? You have to take into account that they were the best of bros before this relationship business. *ESPECIALLY* if youre getting into the romantic rps. One does not trounce themselves all over their best bro without caution. Or anyone for that matter. Its worth noting that jake assumed that dirk liked him before dirk even was willing to admit it himself. Jake also presumably was a bit more than sweet on dirk himself during that period of time considering all of that non-suggestive pistol action. However he is in fact very fond of jane. He got her a poster of dr manhattan from the watchman. An uncensored one. Hes always very favorable to her but at the same rate he has a tendency to focus on himself in their logs because her good nature allows for that. In fact during the log he had with jane where he asks if she likes him. It almost seems like hes PLEADING with her to like him. Then he goes on the rant about dirk and his forced dirkis and how their kokoros are fated. The term dirki is especially apt for it is a particularly aggressive doki. Which is the only reason jake thought they were fated really. Aggression.

Augh!! So many prickly pears. Not to mention the fact that roxy harbored a bit of a crush on him too. However in lue of recent updates. Its almost as if he is getting competitive with her.
That lovely little quote: "You almost scooped my boyfriend right out from under me in one fell proposal!"
Thats a mimic of a macbeth quote.
Said by macduff.
In reference to the event in which macduffs family was brutally murdered.
Here roxy is macbeth literally killing off his wife dirk and child rake who can somehow speak past the point of death while he emos up a ballpark and plots for the rebellion of trees.

As for the breakup with dirk. Jake mostly didnt like dirk for what he was not. Whereas dirk mostly liked jake for what he was not. The keyword is mostly because jake still hated dirks boring rants. But he didnt know that dirk never was the one formulating schemes. Which is one of the major issues. Meaning that we MIGHT see jake and dirk turn dangerously close to the 360 heel face turn Horuss/Rufioh parallel zone. Notice which name equals which. Take special note of Rufioh's and Horuss's character details. REALLLLY look at them. And youre probably sitting here like "STOP WITH THE ROMANTIC JARGON"
And i say hey.
Whats going on.
Not cool bro.
Except it has become socially accepted as cool because everyone most often only focuses on jake as a romantic object.
Except he isnt the romantic sort at all.
He is very close to john in that respect.
Except.
He actually fears his lack of emotions.
He feels guilty about them.
Because he wonders if he will ever be able to feel that way for a person.
Maybe he was just meant to be alone.
Seems like it.
He always makes everyone mad somehow.
Hes false in his position. Even as a gentleman.
Maybe hes just special.
A special sort of individual.
Who is meant.
To be.

Alone.

Heck hes back at the beginning by this point in a very roundabout way. He never had to worry about other people on his little island. He would simply watch some things that made him smile speak online occasionally and carry on with his merry way. Even though he was alone. All of the alphas were alone.

By contrast the dirk situation wasnt terribly bad. He always had someone there! They had an amazing time whilst together despite the flaws of it all. It just eventually got too much to bare. And when you run into trouble you tend to want to scoot back to whatever youre comfortable with. For jake. That was being alone.

Even with erisol there in his world you could tell that jake didnt necessarily render him as a full force individual so much as a comic.
He didnt really listen to him. He interpreted his statements as jokes sheerly because of how absolutely grim they were. Its an empathy issue because of how often. He. Was. Alone.

So all and all. Im going to drop the mic here for now. I am going to park my fine self DOWN in a SNOOTY CHAIR and work out how i want the rest of this to FLOW dogs. Friggin Jake English and his highly complicated character attributes and Robin esc lack of pantsery. Im going to have to do like 5 versions of this. GOSH.

Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 02-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Reply: #2
RE: A long WIP Jake English guide.
Southern accents, especially the more... posh? If I'm allowed to call them that, do have british influences, if you listen carefully- or, you know, at all-, soooooooo... I'll let most people have the benefit of the doubt that his vernacular coupled with his last name influenced their idea of his accent. (I just always found it funny because, growing up in pretty similar situations, almost no one pictures Jade with an accent? Unfair, poor Jade should get attention for whatever strange accent she picked up, living on an island with her strange, radioactive steak munching dog. :c )

But, yes! Thank you, Jake is not stupid!!! He might not be as book smart as Dirk or Roxy, or perhaps even Jane, but he has POTENTIAL, and HOPE, and you know what? Them's some important stuff to have, right there, darnit.

Also, I knew he enjoyed comics but I've never really put it into play before? So, next time I play our dear Page, I think I'll let my geek out a bit more, and give it a whirl.
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 02-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Reply: #3
(02-02-2013 09:15 PM)selfIndulgence Wrote:  Southern accents, especially the more... posh? If I'm allowed to call them that, do have british influences, if you listen carefully- or, you know, at all-, soooooooo... I'll let most people have the benefit of the doubt that his vernacular coupled with his last name influenced their idea of his accent. (I just always found it funny because, growing up in pretty similar situations, almost no one pictures Jade with an accent? Unfair, poor Jade should get attention for whatever strange accent she picked up, living on an island with her strange, radioactive steak munching dog. :c )

But, yes! Thank you, Jake is not stupid!!! He might not be as book smart as Dirk or Roxy, or perhaps even Jane, but he has POTENTIAL, and HOPE, and you know what? Them's some important stuff to have, right there, darnit.

Also, I knew he enjoyed comics but I've never really put it into play before? So, next time I play our dear Page, I think I'll let my geek out a bit more, and give it a whirl.
no thank you for bothering to read my drivel oh my goodness.
I'm glad your geek frequency will go up comic wise. Go now. Geek with careless abandon. Let the geek ring from the hills in a triumphant fury of nerd.

And I will definitely agree with you on the southern accent/British accent relationship! Anyhow, the only pieces of strong contradictory evidence against a British accent for him really set in place right now is the fact that Calliope is pointed at for typing in a "British" manner, whereas no one points the finger/makes the relation back to Jake or Jane. + the areas in which a lot of a lot of his peculiar phrases were used. And an australian accent is still fessable/on the table; which many still choose simply because of proximity. So, I think I'll definitely reword this a bit as not to offend the masses. Heh, I'm so sorry if I came across as being snooty there!
Also the commentary on Jade.
Jade with a strong accent would be kind of adorable.
This needs to happen more often.
Offline 02-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Reply: #4
(02-03-2013 02:27 AM)golgothasTerror Wrote:  no thank you for bothering to read my drivel oh my goodness.
I'm glad your geek frequency will go up comic wise. Go now. Geek with careless abandon. Let the geek ring from the hills in a triumphant fury of nerd.

And I will definitely agree with you on the southern accent/British accent relationship! Anyhow, the only pieces of strong contradictory evidence against a British accent for him really set in place right now is the fact that Calliope is pointed at for typing in a "British" manner, whereas no one points the finger/makes the relation back to Jake or Jane. + the areas in which a lot of a lot of his peculiar phrases were used. And an australian accent is still fessable/on the table; which many still choose simply because of proximity. So, I think I'll definitely reword this a bit as not to offend the masses. Heh, I'm so sorry if I came across as being snooty there!
Also the commentary on Jade.
Jade with a strong accent would be kind of adorable.
This needs to happen more often.

Drivel my left foot! Your posts are very well thought out, and I'm looking forward to any other how to's you might decide to come up with!

Personally, I didn't find you snooty at all during your writing, even though I believe you would have certainly been within your rights to be, especially with your strong arguments for a wannabe Southern Gentleman Jake. In fact, the fact that you wrote a Jake English guide without insulting the character is wonderful! It's disheartening how many guides for our friendly neighborhood Prospit Dreamers I've seen that end up just demeaning their behavior and personalities... (Or ones for Derse Dreamers that don't go at all into the character faults that make them personable? It's all very sad.)

And I'm rambling on, I'm so sorry, but yes, definitely gonna let my geek off the leash next time I play him- and go back to my roots for vernacular. I might even bless someone's heart, oh gosh.
Offline 02-04-2013, 03:36 AM
Reply: #5
(02-03-2013 05:25 AM)selfIndulgence Wrote:  Drivel my left foot! Your posts are very well thought out, and I'm looking forward to any other how to's you might decide to come up with!

Personally, I didn't find you snooty at all during your writing, even though I believe you would have certainly been within your rights to be, especially with your strong arguments for a wannabe Southern Gentleman Jake. In fact, the fact that you wrote a Jake English guide without insulting the character is wonderful! It's disheartening how many guides for our friendly neighborhood Prospit Dreamers I've seen that end up just demeaning their behavior and personalities... (Or ones for Derse Dreamers that don't go at all into the character faults that make them personable? It's all very sad.)

And I'm rambling on, I'm so sorry, but yes, definitely gonna let my geek off the leash next time I play him- and go back to my roots for vernacular. I might even bless someone's heart, oh gosh.

No need to be sorry, feel free to ramble anytime! Hell, I think all guides would be much better if people weren't afraid to give the whole of their two cents instead of the shitty 1.3 cents we've been accustomed to giving. Some people, of course, end up giving their three cents which only results in inflation. It's a sad state of affairs.
(which is to say, people here are wayyyyyy too nice to me. my goodness. Thank you for the kind words once again!)

People are very quick to demean the Prospit dreamers because they're frequently taken at face value. Like, let's take Jade for instance. Many take her to be very.....linear.
Really, she is a very complex character, she just typically humors her conversational partners to build solidarity. It lends to her magnet effect and illustrates the social differentiation between her and Jake. Or how people take Jane to be a complete tightass. She's very humorous and she's very playful, she just gets stuck in situations where she has to take a position of authority. I would say something on John, but I have far too much to say and I need to build another guide to house that shit. All and all, the prospit dreamers deserve mad respect yo.

As for heart blessings, I can see it now.
"Haha dirk. Bless your HEART. GET IT. BECAUSE YOURE PRINCE OF HEART. SO ITS STILL LIKE BLESSING YOURSELF BUT YOURE IN COMMAND OF HEARTS AND YOURE NOT SOME KIND OF HEALER TYPE NOR DO YOU ENJOY THAT SORTA STUFF. Suddenly this isnt as funny as i once thought. Dangit."
Offline 02-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Reply: #6
Also one last fact:
lololol jake is a ttl httie sex god and he has no flaws at all.
This is 100% canon.
I'm not sure what I was even saying up there.
Offline 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Reply: #7
(02-11-2013 07:45 AM)golgothasTerror Wrote:  Also one last fact:
lololol jake is a ttl httie sex god and he has no flaws at all.
This is 100% canon.
I'm not sure what I was even saying up there.

Gosh, you silly little goose, what were you even thinking? Jeez, I thought everyone knew that.

On a more serious note, I'm now feeling a lot of Jake feels. Poor baby, makes you just wanna wrap him up in a blanket and feed him all the cookies and the world and read him a bedtime story and kiss his little head and tell him that everything will be okay. But that kind of treatment would get old for him pretty quick and just-

I am making sad faces at my computer screen right now. Sigh.
Offline 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Reply: #8
RE: Jake Guide V.2: THE SPIFFY VERSION!!
Although I am a bit late to the "jake party" I do notice some things what show up in the comic that are strikingly similar to a person who is a bit (for lack of a better term ) Dense. I did very much appreciate the reading material and it was helpful somewhat. Although also confusing. Could I possibly message you personally mr. or m®s golgothasTerror on regarding some more information about our compatriot?
Offline 03-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Reply: #9
(03-07-2013 08:08 PM)Dan Wrote:  Although I am a bit late to the "jake party" I do notice some things what show up in the comic that are strikingly similar to a person who is a bit (for lack of a better term ) Dense. I did very much appreciate the reading material and it was helpful somewhat. Although also confusing. Could I possibly message you personally mr. or m®s golgothasTerror on regarding some more information about our compatriot?

You are correct on that! This is exactly why I'm not marking this off as a finalized version. He is very dense at points. Very. Especially at a communicative level. The main reason why acknowledging that in particular is important is to get people away from the "perfect human" accent stereotype, especially because Jake is a character built on facades. On the converse, the inclusion of the fact that some of his intelligence is invalidated is to get people away from the typical manner I see people play him. When going towards a character with a lower intelligence level (albeit somewhat subjectively with this kid), many veer towards a sort of overzealous stupidity in an attempt to be canonic. Which is to say,they don't look towards what exactly he doesn't know and in what increment in relation toward what he does know and in what increment and just assume hes a heapin load of bricks entirely. I'm planning on rewriting this towards the way I wrote the guide on Dirk, except with more details included to clarify. Unfortunately, I am lazy. I should have the revised version done tonight! Heh!

As for questions, you can definitely ask me anything you want to!! I'm more than happy to help.
Offline 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Reply: #10
Thank you for the ideas on his speech patterns! I always had his character qualities pretty accurate but I could never get that right. I'd just end up going into something closer to John. I'll be sure to keep this in mind the next time I rp as Jake.

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)