Freshness Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4 Average
Guide to a Good Quirk
Offline 12-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Reply: #1
Guide to a Good Quirk
I see a lot of people with really strange quirks that usually either confuse me or take away too much from what they're saying, so I felt I should make a guide for what I think is a good quirk. I'm sure nearly everyone and their dog will disagree with me, but I'm doing it anyway.

The first thing we need to look at is the quirks in canon. The most complicated/hard to read quirk is Mituna's, hands down. Other characters even mentioned how hard to read his quirk is. He had a letter replacement for nearly every number 0-9, which when you think about it still isn't all that complicated. Yet we know how hard to read it is. So first thing to remember, don't replace too many things! It can end up making your text near impossible to read.

Another thing people seem to forget about canon quirks, all the trolls have to actually type them out! I'm mentioning this because of characters not on the keyboard. The only trolls that had quirks that can't be typed with a normal keyboard were Horuss and Meulin, both of which only had those characters in their prefix, outside of the norm. Meulin's normal prefix can be typed, as can Horuss'. When one of them gets in the mood, they probably copy paste a different prefix. When making your quirk, try typing it out yourself without auto-replace, to see how feasible it is. (If your character requires replacements not on the keyboard, you better have character map open!)

Suffixes. Not a single troll in canon had a suffix. That isn't to say they can't exist, but none of them had one. Personally, I think suffixes can be pretty cool parts of a quirk, if they're done right. Which brings me to the next point.

Prefixes. If you'll notice, every troll in canon that had a prefix had a pretty minimal quirk otherwise. Replacing only if two letters appeared right next to each other, or replacing a very rare letter, etc. Equius had a prefix of "D -->", but he only replaced X's and loo or ool if they appeared in that order. Neither of those things happen very often. So if you have a prefix, suffix, or both, make the other part of your quirk minimal. Remember, your OC would actually have to type it themself.

Now that I've mentioned what you shouldn't do, here's things you SHOULD do.

Make your OC's quirk related to their personality in some way. This is the most important thing. I see a lot of quirks that are just there, having nothing to do with the character. To prove my point:
Aradia: o's to 0's, she felt empty inside and was dead, so 0's.
Tavros: He's very shy, so he never used periods. Only commas. But he had his false confidence, making him gET LOUDER IN THE MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE,,,
Sollux: His whole character is the person of 2's. So he used two i's, and S's to 2's. Liike thii2.
Karkat: He's very loud and yells order at people. So capslock.
Nepeta: Her lusus was a cat with two mouths, so she shows them in her quirk. :33 < s33?
Kanaya: She Likes To Over Pronounce Each And Every One Of Her Words. She Is Very Matter Of Fact. Like A Title Is. So, Title Case.
Terezi: She loves law and justice, so she speaks with the numerals of the blind prophets, 413.
Vriska: She loves 8's. She thinks they're gr8.
Equius: D --> He loves archery and is 100% STRONG
Gamzee: MoThErFuCkInG MiRaClEs, MaN.
Eridan: He makes wwavves because wwater.
Feferi: She's a princess, and shows her royalty with )(er symbol, and throws TRID----------ENTS around! She also has a crown and goggles. 38)

I hear you saying, "but monarchBaconator, my character has a prefix of Ώ, a suffix of π, and replaces e's with ם, a's with א, and r's with ۞, and has alternating case!" Well first of all how did you even get that idea? Second, fixing a quirk is easy. Maybe in the case of that one you might just need to scrap the whole thing because you probably just took random letters and replaced them with random things on the character map.

When making a quirk, first think. "How does my character speak?" If they have some accent or speech impediment or anything, THAT COUNTS AS PART OF A QUIRK. Puns even, those count too! Throw 'em in there. Meenah never even shows )(-ER QUIRK unless shouting, but she just uses so many fish puns nobody can argue it's minimal.

Good ideas for replacements might be doubling a letter, like Eridan, wwhich kind of counts as an accent. Replacing a certain letter with something that looks like it? SUR3. Making your letters resemble something your character loves? O)(, D-EFINIT-ELY!

To give you an example, one of my OC's quirks:
A troll OC I made named Alment. His whole deal is programming, even moreso than Sollux. So, what's his quirk? Related to programming of course.
String s = " He always makes sure his sentences are typed in correct syntax. ";
He also replaces ' with \' and " with \", but those barely show up. Following that prefix/suffix rule from earlier.

Of course, you're free to do whatever you want, but if you want someone to think your OC is amazing, a good quirk is usually the first step! A bad quirk can make an otherwise interesting and complex character annoying and hard to read.

Post in this thread if you have any questions for me, I'll be glad to help. If you really want I could probably give you a good quirk if you post a character's details.

Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 12-15-2014, 05:06 PM (This reply was last modified: 12-15-2014 05:07 PM by epithetic.)(Edited by epithetic.)
Reply: #2
RE: Guide to a Good Quirk
This is a great guide to making sensible quirks.

One thing I'd add is choosing a consistent typing pattern regarding punctuation, capitalisation and style. Way too many quirks out there are random or haphazard (or just plain uninspired) when it comes to those aspects unless it's perceived to be a "special" thing such as Kanaya's title case or Tavros's quirk or whathaveyou. But that's an important part of making a quirk/personality come across well in writing, even for fankids.

How does your character talk, what is their personality like ("proper"? casual? etc.) and how does that reflect in their writing (or perhaps how does it not reflect in their writing and why?)

Some things to think about to get you started:
  • Does your character use initial capitalisation?
  • Is there any special capitalisation due to their quirk/personality (e.g. STRONG, or Tavros always lowercasing 'i' as a pronoun)?
  • What about personal pronouns and proper names?
  • What about capitalisation after punctuation?
  • For that matter, does your character even use punctuation, and if so how?
  • Do they use apostrophes in contractions? What kind of contractions do they typically use?
  • Are they liberal with emotes (and what emotes do they use), do they use question/exclamation marks? If so, how often do they use them?
  • How does your character style quotation marks (single quotes, double quotes, dashes, guillemets...?) and how do they use them? Just for actual quotes or for effect or sarcasm?
  • Do they commonly abbreviate any words?
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 07-19-2015, 09:08 AM (This reply was last modified: 07-19-2015 09:11 AM by ArcadeInvade.)(Edited by ArcadeInvade.)
Reply: #3
could you please help me with my character's quirk? I had one picked out for her but I think it could be better.
Offline 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM (This reply was last modified: 07-23-2015 02:58 PM by arsenicGeneticist.)(Edited by arsenicGeneticist.)
Reply: #4
if anyone can review this then you are blessed by jesus

hey! first off, i'd like to say, hooly crap, THIS IS GR8! i never really struggled with quirks but this helped me check over them! thanks!

second off, i have a rust blood and i want to check to see if his quirk fits him? i'll give you some info

Name: Yezubo Prinet
(this is the important part) Lusus: A starnose mole (blind, obviously.)
Extra info about Yz: - He is also blind, thus why his lusus picked him (does that make sense?)
- He lives underground in his "cayv hyve" as he calls it
- His skin is pretty sensitive to sunlight
- Aaaand he eats worms.
His Quirk: "the qwik brown fockses jumped over the layzy dog"
- Doesn't spell very well due to blindness and he lived under dirt for a few sweeps so.. what is words.
- Does not use grammar or syntax.
- Talks in all lower case.
- No apostrophes/commas/full stops.
- Tries to talk posh and tries to use big words but usually gets mocked and teased for it.
- If people correct him he refuses to accept it and can either lose his temper, deny harshly or just be really defensive.

this is more like a fantroll review haha but i really only wanted the quirk reviewed? if you can then thank youuuuuu :D

yeah right! i will take my purrsition into this funny pounce ball and tackle you!
and then, arsenicGeneticist logged the fuck out. Diamond
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Offline 07-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Reply: #5
(07-23-2015 09:06 AM)arsenicGeneticist Wrote:  -snip-

Entirely depends on why this is: If he uses a program to read things out loud for him, it might make sense for him to misspell in ways that are phonetically correct but orthographically wrong (since he couldn't distinguish between homophones).

Similar things could be said for capitalisation etc., but not grammatical/syntactic correctness. It might make sense to look into popular text to speech engines (Google/whatnot) and how they pronounce things to see how someone might type phonetically.

There should definitely be a consistency in how he writes, since both trolls and humans are creatures of ha8it.

It might also be fun to have him misread things that such text to speech services likely would trip up on, or spell things out in literal ways (e.g. instead of writing "..." he might type "finish crumb finish crumb finish crumb") and be unaware of this being any different from what other people do.

Fantroll advice under the cut:

Away 07-24-2015, 05:00 AM
Reply: #6
I really like this guide, especially the part where you say to only use the characters on the keyboard.

I've seen so many people use symbols such as €, £, and ¥. I wish they would realize they only use keyboard characters in their quirks.
Offline 07-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Reply: #7
(07-24-2015 05:00 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I really like this guide, especially the part where you say to only use the characters on the keyboard.

I've seen so many people use symbols such as €, £, and ¥. I wish they would realize they only use keyboard characters in their quirks.

But £, € and ¥ are on my (and many peoples') keyboard.
Offline 07-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Reply: #8
(07-24-2015 10:21 AM)epithetic Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 05:00 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I really like this guide, especially the part where you say to only use the characters on the keyboard.

But £, € and ¥ are on my (and many peoples') keyboard.

Alt codes, man. Alt codes.

Alt + combination of numbers = special characters.

[Image: kdWS62f.gif]
Offline 08-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Reply: #9
Well my ocs typing quirk is $=s, !=i, &=a,and |=l. I really don't know what it has to do with her theme. Sometimes it's easy to read, other times it hurts my eyes tbh. I don't know how other people feel about it though.

I have another oc who is wolf-themed (I hope that doesn't make him sound like a mary sue) who uses 3 r's for r (sounds like growling), and always capitalizes o (lOOks like a full mOOn). I think this one is more creative, easier to read, and goes with his theme.

[Image: tumblr_mp633gEWGa1sqw6q1o7_400.gif]
Offline 06-12-2018, 06:17 AM
Reply: #10
Hello friend, this my quirk, what do you think of it? I know this is kinda late to join in on the stuck in the home thing but better late than never!

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)