Freshness Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Roleplaying Karkat Vantas [WIP]
Offline 01-26-2013, 03:10 PM (This reply was last modified: 01-27-2013 11:58 AM by Karkat Vantas.)(Edited by Karkat Vantas.)
Reply: #1
Roleplaying Karkat Vantas [WIP]
THIS IS A WIP One edit left, just for formatting and the tl;dr.

Roleplaying Karkat

This is probably going to end up being pretty long winded, so if you don't have the time (or just don't care) to read practically an essay on Karkat's personality and relationships with others, there will be a tl;dr at the end.

Quote:CG: HI AGAIN, IDIOT.
GG: oh nooooooo

CG: SO I GUESS TODAY IS FINALLY THE DAY YOU FUCK EVERYTHING UP.

GG: >:O

CG: IS THERE NOTHING I CAN DO TO CHANGE YOUR MIND?

GG: you can leave me alone!!!!!
GG: how can you even be talking to me after i blocked you….
GG: AND after i logged out????

CG: YOU DON’T GET THAT I AM BETTER AND SMARTER THAN YOU IN EVERY WAY, FOREVER.
CG: YOU DON’T GET THAT BECAUSE YOU ARE INCREDIBLY STUPID.

GG: i get that youre a jerk and you should shut up!
GG: goodbye you jerk!!!!!!!!!

The first impression we get of Karkat is the above quote from page 002759, when he’s talking to Jade. What does his manner of speaking say about him? That he’s an asshole, and this is our first impression of the ball of angry energy that is Karkat Vantas. First impressions are great and all, but they shouldn’t shape our entire understanding of a character. (My first impression of Gamzee was he’s a moronic fool that will probably die within ten minutes of the game starting. Look how that turned out.) Karkat has more layers to him than just the dick that we see initially.
The issue with understanding the character is there’s so much time bullshit that it’s hard to figure out exactly what is going on at any specific point in time, at least for the first four acts. The next time we see Karkat, he’s talking to John from some point in the future when - - to Karkat at least - - they are friends. His backwards trolling method makes everything all the more complicated.

Quote:CG: THIS HAS BEEN EXPLAINED TO YOU SO OFTEN IT WOULD MAKE ME SICK TO MY HUMAN STOMACH IF I HAD ONE OF YOUR HUMAN STOMACHS.
EB: ok, this time i'll believe you that you aren't human.
EB: because the skepticism center of my brain is starting to wear kind of thin i guess.
EB: but you're still a major asshole and i don't actually want to talk to you, so bye.

CG: WAIT.
CG: BUT I'M NOT HERE TO TROLL YOU THIS TIME.
CG: WE'RE FRIENDS OK?

EB: hahahahahaha!
EB: oh man, look at this outburst of little human words i’m saying!
EB: from my human mouth!

CG: FINE YOU CAN THINK I’M A FUCKING DOUCHE AND MAYBE I AM BUT HERE’S THE FACT, IDIOT.
CG: I’VE ALREADY HAD LOTS OF CONVERSATIONS WITH YOU.
CG: IN THE FUTURE. I MEAN YOUR FUTURE.
CG: I’VE KIND OF BEEN WORKING BACKWARDS HERE FOR A WHILE.
CG: AND IT’S A LITTLE FRUSTRATING.
CG: EVERY TIME I GO FURTHER BACK YOU KNOW LESS AND LESS, AND YOU DON’T REMEMBER ANYTHING I SAID BECAUSE IT HASN’T HAPPENED YET.
CG: AND I HAVE TO REPEAT MYSELF A LOT.
CG: AND I’M GETTING PRETTY FUCKING SICK OF IT.

EB: that’s the dumbest thing i’ve ever heard.

CG: WELL IT'S NOT LIKE I MAPPED OUT THIS TROLLING ONSLAUGHT VERY WELL IN ADVANCE.
CG: I MEAN, WHEN YOU TROLL SOMEONE YOU JUST SORT OF DO IT. YOU DON'T START DRAWING FLOWCHARTS AND DIAGRAMS AND STUFF.

EB: wait...
EB: you have something to do with this game, don't you?
EB: i should have known.

CG: OH GOD.
CG: NOT AGAIN.
CG: NO, FUCK NO, I AM JUST NOT GOING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU AGAIN.
CG: YOU'LL GET PLENTY OF DIRT ON ALL THIS FROM ME IN FUTURE CONVERSATIONS.
CG: TEDIOUS CONVERSATIONS.
CG: ONES I'VE ALREADY HAD WITH YOU.
CG: WHERE YOUR DEMEANOR WILL GRADUALLY BECOME INEXPLICABLY AND REVOLTINGLY FRIENDLY TOWARDS US.
CG: AND SO I GUESS IT JUST WAS KIND OF INFECTIOUS AND NOW WE'RE ALL BUDDIES I THINK.
CG: IT'S REALLY WEIRD.
CG: THIS HUMAN EMOTION YOU CALL FRIENDSHIP.

EB: friendship isn't an emotion fucknuts.

CG: SEE, THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
CG: YOU'RE MUCH MORE TOLERABLE A GUY THAN I THOUGHT AT FIRST, OK JOHN?

Both of the above examples prove one thing: our first impression was apparently correct! Why am I using these as proof to say the oposite, that he is similar to an onion rather than a sheet of paper? Because this is where most people stop trying to descifer his character. The biggest mistake I've seen people make is assuming Karkat is a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk. In all actuality, Karkat is a dick because he’s trying to protect himself and his friends. Think of how much easier it is to keep a secret like his safe if no one has the patience to deal with his whiny ass. In the same vein, he cares deeply about his friends and will gladly push aside his own problems to deal with theirs.

To summarize the last few lines: Karkat Vantas does give a shit. A lot of shits. So many shits, in fact, that he doesn't have anywhere to put them, and everyone is tired of recieving shits as presents because he has nowhere to store them! Okay that got away from me... Sorry.

Moving right along. The simplist but most complex way to put this is he's pretty much pale for basically everyone he talks to. Not enough that he's going to cheat on Gamzee for them, but enough that he cares about their well-being, even if at first it doesn't seem like it. I'm not going to get into the quadrants, go back to page 004395 if you don't know what moirailegance is. Back to the point, he cares. Let's take his and Sollux's relationship as an example. They argue over the dumbest things and at times it seems like they actually hate each other, but at the end of the day, they're best friends and like it that way.

Since I've already started on his relationships, I'll continue with some brief points on how he treats his friends and who those friends are. At least the ones he likes enough to call his friends.

Sollux Captor
  • As stated above, they argue over the dumbest shit, but are besties for life.
  • Quote:TA: youre lucky iim 2o fuckiing magnaniimou2 and chariitable cau2e otherwii2e there2 no chance iid wa2te my tiime on you.
    CG: WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT, THIS ACT THAT YOU ACTUALLY THINK YOU’RE A HOTSHOT, YOU KNOW YOU HATE YOURSELF.

TA: nobody hate2 hiim2elf more than you iidiiot.

CG: YEAH WELL I HATE YOU WAY MORE THAN I HATE MYSELF, AND THAT’S FUCKING SAYING SOMETHING.
    CG: IN FACT I HATE YOU MORE THAN I HATE MYSELF AND YOU HATE YOURSELF AND YOU HATE ME COMBINED.

TA: oh fuck that noii2e iin every leakiing oriifiice iit2 got you know ii hate the combiined product of you and my2elf more than you could ever begiin two hate me and my2elf and you and your2elf on your wor2t day 2o FUCKIING DEAL WIITH IIT.
  • Sollux is very nearly the only person willing to put up with his bullshit. That’s why he always asks if they’re still friends after their little disputes, because he can’t stand to think of what it would be like if they legitimately hated each other.

Nepeta
  • Karkat DOES NOT HATE Nepeta. He indulges in her roleplaying, and invites her to join his team as she is "THE BEST REMAINING CANDIDATE FOR THE RED TEAM".
Quote:CG: HEY.
AC: :33 < *ac perks up curiously*
AC: :33 < *she wiggles her rear end a bit and then chases something she s33s bounce into one of karkats shoes*

CG: KARKAT CAN'T BELIEVE HE HAS TO SINK THIS LOW.
CG: KARKAT CAN'T BELIEVE HE'S ASKING AN AUTISTIC GIRL IN A CAVE TO JOIN HIS TEAM.
CG: KARKAT MYSTIFIES IN INFINITE BEFUDDLEMENT OVER THE FACT THAT YOU ARE PRESENTLY THE BEST REMAINING CANDIDATE FOR THE RED TEAM.

AC: :33 < i am???
AC: :33 < i mean *ac says i am??? wondrously*

CG: YES AND KARKAT CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE THAT.
CG: KARKAT THINKS ABOUT THAT A BIT AND HIS JAW DROPS OPEN AND BREAKS A HUGE COLUMN OF BRICKS LIKE A FUCKING KUNG FU MASTER.

AC: :33 < *ac gathers up all the brick pieces and builds a cute little house and invites karkat inside*

CG: OK GOOD, IT'S GOOD THAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BUILDING.
CG: EVEN IF IT'S IN THE MOST INANE POSSIBLE CONTEXT.
CG: YOU'RE GOING TO BE DOING A LOT OF IT.

AC: :33 < yesss that sounds fun
AC: :33 < ok what do i do?

CG: OK, BRIEFING:
CG: ME, TEREZI, GAMZEE AND TAVROS ARE ALL PLAYING NOW.
CG: THE CONNECTION ORDER IS AT -> TC -> GC -> CG.
CG: WE NEED SOMEONE TO CONNECT TO TOREADOR AND GET HIM IN THE GAME.
CG: I HAVE GA LINED UP FOR THE RED TEAM BECAUSE SHE IS ONE OF THE FEW REMAINING SANE ONES LEFT TO PLAY.
CG: OK, THE ONLY SANE ONE.

Kanaya
  • Karkat has said that he considers Kanaya to be the only other sane troll (see Nepeta's quote) and enjoys talking to her.
  • Kanaya is perhaps the only troll Karkat is truly civil with.
Quote:GA: I Just Wanted To Ask You Something In Confidence
GA: About The Humans

CG: OK, WHAT IS IT?
[ color=#008141]
GA: Are You Sure Theyre Responsible For Our Misfortune [/color]
CG: YES. THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
[ color=#008141]
GA: Was It On Account Of Malice Or Incompetence [/color]
CG: I DON’T KNOW. MAYBE BOTH?
CG: WHY DOES IT MATTER.
[ color=#008141]
GA: It Sort Of Does
GA: Im Not Even That Sure Why
GA: This Is A Difficult Topic For Me To Broach
GA: For Reasons That You Probably Wont Understand [/color]
CG: GOD DAMMIT.
CG: NO MORE MYSTERIES, PLEASE.
CG: YOU’D THINK WE’D HAD OUR FILL OF THEM BY NOW.
CG: IF I HAVE TO SOLVE ONE MORE RIDDLE, I’M GOING TO…
CG: I DON’T KNOW.
[ color=#008141]
GA: Will Your Response Involve An Athletic Maneuver Of Some Sort [/color]
CG: NO
CG: ABSOLUTELY NOT.
CG: I WILL JUST GO OVER THERE AND WEEP GENTLY IN THE HORN PILE.

Terezi
  • Karkat and Terezi are straight-up assholes to each other sometimes...
    Quote:GC: W3LL 1T M4Y SURPR1S3 YOU TO KNOW TH4T 1 DONT G1V3 4 CR4P WHO G3TS TO B3 L34D3R B3C4US3 UNL1K3 YOU 1 4CTU4LLY H4V3 4 FUCK1NG SM1DG3N OF M4TUR1TY 4ND S3LF R3SP3CT
    CG: THAT’S A LIE, YOU’RE MORE OF A MELODRAMA SPAZ QUEEN THAN ME AND YOU KNOW IT AND THIS STUFF YOUR SAYING IS A PRETEND STUNT.
    CG: YOU’RE LIKE A ROCKET PROPELLED SPAZ MAGGOT SPRINGLOADED UP THE ASS OF A PSYCHEDELIC FUCKING FREAKOUT WEASEL ON IDIOT DRUGS SO LETS NOT PLAY MAKEBELIEVE GAMES HERE.
    CG: LEADER.
    CG: ME.
  • …but Karkat also genuinely cares about her, shown in the fact that he offers her a new place to live.
    Quote:CG: WE NEED TO GET YOU OUT OF THAT FUCKING TREE AND INTO A PROPER GODDAMN LAWNRING.
    CG: YOU’VE BEEN STUNTED LIVING UP THERE, BY THE WHISPERS OF FUCKING BARK GNOMES OR SOMETHING.
    CG: I THINK ONE OF MY NEIGHBORS WAS JUST CULLED RECENTLY, MAYBE YOU COULD LIVE THERE.
  • He is not exceptionally nice to Terezi. He does not cut her any slack. But he also doesn’t hate her, so bear that in mind.
  • In recent updates he and Terezi are having issues, not talking to each other. Take note of that.

Gamzee
  • Gamzee is Karkat's moirail. This isn't to say he isn't an ass to the guy. He hates the way Gamzee typed (LiKe ThIs) and said so in a pesterlog.

Eridan
  • They were gossip buddies before Eridan attacked killed Feferi, turned Kanaya into a rainbow drinker, and KOed/blinded Sollux. So prior to that, Karkat LIKED Eridan.
  • Karkat and Eridan are friends. He was willing to help Eridan out with his problems in private.
    Quote:
    FCA: i got a problem
    FCA: wwith feferi
    FCA: and im really kinda sittin here in bad shape about it emotionally speakin

CCG: OK, WELL
    CCG: I GET THAT, I HEAR YOU BRO
    CCG: BUT THIS IS STILL NOT THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THIS SO I’VE GOT TO BAN YOU.

CCG banned FCA from responding to memo.
    CCG: BUT SERIOUSLY JUST GET IN TOUCH WITH ME IN PRIVATE ABOUT IT, OK MAN?
    CCG: WE’LL GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHTENED OUT.
  • He wouldn’t act offended or pissed by an Eridan following him. He wouldn’t jeer or anything of the sort.
  • He would be on relatively friendly terms with Eridan, excepting any specific differences due to an AU setting or alternate circumstances.

Okay, now that I've gone over that, there's just one last thing to say. He's not just angry. He can and does feel other emotions than anger. Yes, he seems to be irritated at life in general, but that's not all there is to him. Karkat relies on his emotions to function. He’s overemotional about literally everything, no matter what the emotion is; he goes above and beyond when it comes to emoting. And that’s a giant part of who he is, something that often gets passed up. He also doesn’t like dealing with stupid shit. He will tell you he doesn’t want to deal with stupid shit, in some long winded metaphor. It’s like that feeling you get when you’re encountering idiotic underclassmen in the hallway, sneering at them due to their stupidity, one-sided minds and lack of maturity. They really get you pissed off - even though you don’t know them personally and they haven’t done jack shit to you. If you act stupid around him - he gives a backlash that scolds such stupidity. You probably deserved it - just nobody was blunt or rude enough to mention you were acting like a complete asshat. He’s not really an “asshole” because he wants to be an asshole; he’s just brutally honest in a mean-spirited manner. I know I said something similar earlier, but this is important! Think of the stress he's under; leading 11 trolls from 11 different hemocaste levels and 11 different walks of life (or death)! You try doing that and see how peppy you are.

Another thing about him, Karkat is a huge fucking wimp. For example, page 5261:

FTC: honk.
FTC: HONK.
FTC: honk.
FTC: HONK.
CCG: OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD
FTC: i’m in your future, best friend.
FTC: I KNOW WHERE YOU MOTHERFUCKING ARE.
FTC: and what you’ll motherfuckin do.
CCG: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
FTC: AND ALSO.
FTC: and also.
FTC: GUESS MOTHERFUCKIN WHAT.
CCG: …..
CCG: NO I DON’T WANT TO

Look how goddamned terrified he gets. And yet he always seems to attempt to act like the “strong fearless leader” when all is fine and dandy. Karkat is not completely strong and fearless; in fact he’s the most human out of all the trolls perhaps. He has his strong and fearless moments - but don’t all people? He does the rational thing anyone would do in the face of a murderer. Freak the fuck out. And that makes sense to us, because we are human. This mutantblooded troll has human morals, but he doesn’t want the other trolls to know that. Think of Alternian culture and their "survival of the fittest" ideals. In order to survive, trolls have to kill. And having morals would be an obvious sign of weakness. He spared Gamzee instead of killing him! Karkat found a peaceful solution instead of resorting to murder. Although he doesn’t show his good-hearted morals and weakness on his sleeve, they are always there and you know it. Find a way to show that without being too obvious!

Beyond this is basic knowledge that most should know, but apparently don't?

His quirk. That is a major place for mistakes. Unless he's saying something along the lines of...
CG: HOLY
CG: FUCKING
CG: SHIT.
he uses punctuation at the end of sentances. To put it in a simpler format, one akin to the wiki...
  • ALL CAPS.
  • PERFECT SYNTAX.
  • USES ASTERISKS TO EMPHASIZE WORDS.
  • USES PUNCTUATION, SUCH AS COMMAS, PERIODS, QUESTION MARKS, AND EXCLAMATION POINTS.
  • COLOR IS [626262], TROLLHANDLE carcinoGeneticist, BOTH A PLAY ON HIS SIGN.
  • ALMOST NEVER USES EMOTICONS, BUT WHEN HE DOES THEY CONTAIN A MOUTH, EYES AND HIS HORNS ( ex (:B or ):B )

His strife specibi is sicklekind and his fetch modus is encryption.

And a few (bunch of) interesting things I found out.
  • Karkat could come from "Karkata," the Hindu astrological equivalent of Cancer, minus one letter OR "Karkinos," a giant crab who fought Hercules of myth, also the origin of the Cancer astrological sign. Vantas, on the other hand, is a prostate cancer treatment drug.
  • His Trollian handle is a play on the medical term "carcinogenesis" which is the development of cancer in the body (or carcinogens, cancer-causing substances), and "carcinology," the study of crustaceans.
  • His strife specibi is most likely to contrast or even complement John's hammerkind, as the hammer and sickle are the symbols of communism and the Soviet Union. It may also be a reference to sickle cell disease, or anemia, a sickness of the blood caused by a genetic mutation.
  • Karkat is a very crabby troll, which is a pun on his sign. In fact, most people under the Cancer sign are said to be moody and crabby like he is.
  • 62 is the atomic number of samarium, a volatile but durable silvery-grey metal used in various applications including permanent magnets and cancer treatment. His text color is #626262, right between Calliope and Caliborn's colors. Karkat's blood color is similar to products containing the artificial food coloring Erythrosine (also known as Red Dye #3 and E127), such as candied cherries. Erythrosine is under suspicion to have carcinogenic properties, and there have been multiple attempts to restrict its use in food. Given his position in the zodiac, it is possible that Karkat's blood would be lime were it not for his mutation.
  • Karkat's prudity and dislike of buckets may be a retroactive reference to the concept of the "Crab in the bucket", which identifies an individual in a group that is considered a constant downer.
  • "Cancer" can be defined as "irregular" and "mutated," most likely the cause of Karkat's mutation.
  • According to the Homestuck 2012 Calendar, his Wriggling Day would be June 12, in Earth years. This, however, does not take into account the year-perigee conversion.
  • Karkat likes Dane Cook.
  • Dutch for Cancer is Kanker and so most Dutch use "KK" as a shorthand for it. He is often called KK by Sollux.
  • Karkinos, a giant crab who in myth fought Hercules, might also reference his relationship with Gamzee since in the myth, Hercules was known to enter great fits of rage and ended up killing his family, very much like Gamzee does when he enters his rage, apparently gaining incredible strength not unlike Hercules and killing his friends.
  • He and Kankri are the only trolls whose god tiers have yet to be shown with wings. Whether the wings are very small, nonexistant, or simply hidden remains to be seen. Relating to that, Karkat, along with Terezi, are one of the few post scratch trolls that inherited both their class and aspect from the same two pre-scratch trolls. The only other examples are Eridan and Gamzee. As the Knight of Blood, he inherited the Knight class from Latula and the Blood aspect from his dancestor, while Terezi inherited the exact opposite. This reflects both Kankri and Latula's unresolved feelings for each other, as well as Redglare being a secret follower of the Signless. This also reflects their own romantic tension towards each other.
  • He has been nicknamed "nubs mcshouty" by Meenah.

I play as Karkat, Signless, Sollux, and Psiioniic;.
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 01-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Reply: #2
RE: Roleplaying Karkat Vantas [WIP]
This is turning out great!
Find all replies by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)