Freshness Rating:
  • 11 Votes - 4.55 Average
Pet Peeves
Offline 01-12-2013, 09:46 PM (This reply was last modified: 01-12-2013 09:47 PM by John.)(Edited by John.)
Reply: #1
Pet Peeves
I think this needed to happen, come on, let out all your pet peeves you find when you see others playing a character a certain way. I put it here cause it could serve as a good reminder for people on what not to do. But if it ends up being in the wrong place then feel free to do so--anyhoo~

A pet peeve I have for John rpers?
":B"

he literally never says that ever, and I kind of scrunch my face every time I see it.

♥ Sylph of Heart ♥
☆ INFP | Leo | Prospit ☆
Find me on: Tumblr | Twitter
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Reply: #2
RE: Pet Peeves
stupid johns make baby dave cry

My JohnMy Bro

Jesus Wrote:[muffled hallelujah playing in the distance]
x1(list)
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM (This reply was last modified: 01-12-2013 10:40 PM by John.)(Edited by John.)
Reply: #3
baby, you ain't no baby. baby.

Another peeve of mine is when people make the characters use certain emotes. like "o_o,.w.,>_>,etc" and basically any horizontal emote. Literally think only three characters have ever used horizontal emotes, and that's Jade, Aradia, and Calliope. Now I could be wrong, there may have been other instances, but those are the ones i'm fully aware of.

♥ Sylph of Heart ♥
☆ INFP | Leo | Prospit ☆
Offline 01-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Reply: #4
Most of mine are fandom tropes by this point:
  • Eridans saying nyeh
  • Karkats saying fuckass
  • Jegus jokes
  • B u c k e t j o k e s
  • Jakes saying crikey and or chap
  • Dirks who completely obliterate his philosophy/history/any of his interests
  • Johns who don't know who liv tyler and/or matthew mcconaughty is because cage is lyfe yo
  • Watering down a character for shipping fodder
  • People using highly traumatic/unfortunate situations for shipping fodder
For some, it's more of how they're executed rather than their presence that urks me.
But my goodness.
Find all replies by this user
Offline 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Reply: #5
mcconaughty, SNRK.

This isn't really that bad of a peeve, but I kind of don't like when Dave's greet John as Egderp? It's not the name so much as whenever I hear that, I dunno, I don't see it as a pet name/nickname so much as I feel like it puts a strain a bit? I'm probably reading too much into it, I just don't care for it.

♥ Sylph of Heart ♥
☆ INFP | Leo | Prospit ☆
x1(list)
Offline 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM (This reply was last modified: 01-13-2013 11:33 AM by Kanaya.)(Edited by Kanaya.)
Reply: #6
Well. I'm pretty picky, I guess? Some are REALLY simple though, and when people get them wrong I just sigh loudly.
  • Kanayas using punctuation, though it just occurred to me I'm Kanaya and I'm using punctuation! :O But seriously, you'd think when the quirk makes the text say I'M or That'S people would realise they shouldn't do that?
  • Meenahs using the wrong quirk even though the preset is right THERE. E.G. )(i everyone im meena)( I've seen this a few times before and I just think WHAT?
  • Meenahs using capital letters at the start of a sentence and punctuation. Nope.
  • Araneas, Feferis and Roses who don't use capital letters or punctuation.
  • The people who put OCs in, say, Feferi's tag because the text colour is the same, for an example.
  • Bound!Gagged!
  • People talking to you throughout a chat, then ignoring you as soon as someone else comes in that they ship with. Or trying to ship with you, and stopping as soon as someone else comes. Especially the latter.
  • Mass OOC in group chats.
  • People who JUST talk in OOC all the time.
  • OCs that claim to know the canon characters, unless done well.
  • People who disconnect in the middle of an RP, unless they actually have a reason. Especially if it's because of a tiny mistake which I actually correct.
  • I could probably list pet peeves for years.
  • I'll stop now.
x1(list)
x1
Offline 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Reply: #7
tavrosesesishsiejziziiz who are played as kawaii shota babbus who cant take care of themselves and have no self esteem or personality outside of their interest in some other troll/human and say "uHHHHH" every other word

gamzee players who seem to have no idea what he is like and are just typing like themselves but in his quirk

daves and roses who are sensitive to being made fun of ic, especially when im rose and its a dave or im dave and its a rose. those two talk crap to each other practically non stop and yet are crazy good friends, ,,, , i dont get it! the verbal sparring is half the fun of being a dersite,, ,

for me anyway
Offline 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Reply: #8
Some of these are mildly unreasonable. Some of them are very specific. Mostly these just make me feel like the sad seal face :< but some of them annoy me (you can tell based on how extensively I describe them).
  • Kanayas who do literally nothing but sit quietly and read books
  • Doc Scratch roleplayers who pretend they know everything about Void players despite his inability to see what's happening with them in canon
  • High Gamzees who are just lonely babbus who need a big STRONG man like Equius to give them dominant snuggle sex
  • Dirks who talk exactly like Dave (I am sort of guilty of this but I also acknowledge that I am a shitty Dirk RPer)
  • Terezis who are shy retreating wallflowers
  • RPers who not only are incapable of imitating the character's speech patterns but actually turn off the quirks, thereby highlighting the fact that they sound nothing like the character. Someone went to painstaking effort to program that shit in for you so you don't even need to try.
  • Tavroses who say nothing but ,,, and uHH,,,
  • People who order Equius to tell them what he wants from sex instead of taking charge of the situation. You are not being considerate to his sexual needs. You are just making him feel distressed. Giving him clear and precise orders makes him feel safe. Forcing him to decide what he wants sends him into an endless loop of conflicted thoughts and emotions that turns sexual situations into a traumatic experience and forces me to break character unless I want to be rude and disconnect. This is totally not just my head canon or anything like that. Really. (Okay, it's my head canon.)
  • Equius RPers who do D--> instead of D --> for his arrow
  • Nepeta RPers who do not have her RP stupid cute things with people upon greeting them (I will admit that, from experience, I find it challenging to do this when RPing Nepeta)
  • The overzealous use of cat puns.
  • Equius RPers who write c001d, sh001d and w001d or put 100 in places that don't have both a loo/ool sound and that spelling. I just think it looks tacky.
  • Karkats who give nothing but two word responses
  • Karkats who give nothing but paragraph length responses
  • People who attempt to do nsfw RP but do not understand certain basic facts about female anatomy
  • Fantrolls who squeal and glomp canon characters and threaten to rape them
  • Aradias who apologize to Equius and act like he is this huge big sweetie bear sweetheart that should be worshiped
  • Eridan RPers who attempt to guilt trip me out of character into having my Equius in a quadrant with their Eridan
  • Jake RPers who do not bother with his typing quirk or eccentric vocabulary and who just spontaneously apologize to Dirk so that they can cut to the hot steamy makeouts
  • Characters who threaten to commit suicide if their ship doesn't work out
  • Female genderbends whose most salient features are their bust-lines
  • Vriskas who are constantly sad and mopey for no real reason
  • People who give me shit, either ic or ooc, about wanting to RP a romantic and/or sexual relationship that involves two men
  • People who give me shit, either ic or ooc, about wanting to RP het stuff
  • Same as above except female/female
  • Troll characters who get offended when another troll tells them they pity or hate them. I guess the RPer must have missed the sections on troll romance (or they just didn't read the comic).
  • The over abundance of Gamzees who have their character be on Alternia prior to the game
  • The overuse by Gamzees of the "Help, I fell out of a tree Equius! Carry me to safety and then let us make sweet sweet love in my human bed. Let us disregard your unreasonably high STRONGNESS attribute and pretend that it is totally safe for you to carry me to our love nest like the dainty damsel I am" scenario.
  • Kurloz RPers who, instead of choosing to describe their character's appearance, action and reactions in breathtaking detail, respond only with emotes or *nods* (I recognize that this is perhaps an unreasonable burden to place on Kurloz RPers, but it is my dream)
  • Affable GHB's
  • RPers who assume anything about my character's physical state, actions or reactions without checking in with me ooc to make sure it's true before writing their response. An incredibly minor example of this that particularly annoys me is when people assume that my Equius is sweaty or determine of their own accord the level of perspiration that is exuding from his robust male frame. I am RPing him! If you want to decide when Equius is sweaty, then you should RP him instead of whatever character you are currently roleplaying. :I If I am not doing a good enough job of depicting his current level of sweatiness, then just ask me and I will give you regular updates on the subject.
  • Gamzees who do not do a suitable job of fucking up the English language. His mangling of grammar is an art in its own right. (This is also perhaps somewhat unreasonable since you either need to have had prolonged contact with juggalos or be a grammar wizard to replicate the way he talks.)

And here is a list of things that I do that piss other RPers off.
  • RPing Equius expressing anger or hatred
  • Not having Equius express enough anger or hatred (there is no way to win this one)
  • Giving too many orders as Equius
  • Not giving enough orders as Equius (this is another unwinnable one)
  • Not giving enough descriptions of Equius sweating

I play a good Equius and Caliborn, an okay Gamzee, Nepeta and Terezi, and a mediocre Dirk or Tavros. I will occasionally attempt a Vriska with mixed results. Equius is my main jam, though.

My Main Ships
sober Gamzee x Equius, Dirk and/or AR x Equius
Offline 01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Reply: #9
I moved this but it's no big thing. This is more what I envisioned for the Roleplaying Feels thread. Tips & Tricks are actually for more general suggestions about how to roleplay or personal guides on how to RP a specific character. Guides on how to RP a certain character should either be labeled as personal opinion or as close to canon as possible. That way people who really want to stick close to canon can find guides suitable for them and those who don't care but are interested in finding out other RPers opinions can look at personal ones. I should probably put this in a sticky on the Tips & Tricks instead of posting it here. I am making a mental note to do this later.

However, I would also like to express my pet peeves as an admin.

The first is being asked to change Alpha Bro and Alpha Mom to B2 Dave and B2 Rose. There is either a single anon or a small league of them who insist on us changing the names as if it were the most important and urgent of matters. It's not just that they make a request. Lots of people make requests! It's that they demand this be fixed immediately lest everyone who enters the website become mired in deep confusion. Poor MSPARP is lagging to the point that a chat session is just an endless wall of so and so disconnected but they might be back, we have a troll infestation, some characters aren't even listed, it doesn't even work properly on most mobile phones, there's no way of filtering nsfw/sfw chats, and this is the most urgent thing you can think about changing on the website?

The second is when people send asks on tumblr asking if we can finally do something to fix the lag. Informing us of the lag is good. We like to know about the lag so we can fix it. Getting frustrated with us for not fixing the lag quick enough is not so good. Like I'm not sure what they are imagining we're doing if not trying to fix the lag? What do they think we're doing when we're working on MSPARP? Sitting around eating potato chips, stuffing more and more of them into our cheeks until they grow fat like a hamsters and pondering how many characters we can fit on the screen before the overwhelming wall of checkboxes begins to drive our users slowly insane?

Related to the second peeve are the users who ask us when we will fix the lag. This doesn't really upset me because users are usually polite about it but it's just... I don't know how to respond. Like, how can you estimate when you will be able to fix a problem whose source you cannot determine? Or how many hours it will take to find the bug that is causing the problem? It's one of those ineffable mysteries, like what does our existence mean? How do I find happiness? Why did they cancel my favorite TV show? Where did I put my keys and/or shoes? Why is Gamzee impervious to death in all timelines?

I think what I really wish is that a dozen programmers would just throw themselves at my feet saying something like, "Hail mistress! I have knowledge of all the programming languages and am an expert ninja wizard guru master at them all. I do nothing all day long and have all the time in the world to dedicate to building your website. Please give me orders on how to improve the website. In fact, I demand that you order me to fix the website. Also, I STRONGLY resemble Equius and would like to become your platonic life partner." And then I'd have twelve platonic life partners who look like Equius. It'd be sweet.
Offline 01-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Reply: #10
Karkats who give nothing but paragraph length responses.
People who attempt to do nsfw RP but do not understand certain basic facts about female anatomy.

Kind...of guilty of both of these.
But in my defense; I don't really try to NSFW as females; it sort of happens.

People talking to you throughout a chat, then ignoring you as soon as someone else comes in that they ship with. Or trying to ship with you, and stopping as soon as someone else comes. Especially the latter.

This makes me a sad panda. It tends to happen the worst with Feferi's; I mean what's wrong with just being friends together. Which actually brings me to a peeve.

People who just kind of ignore you or get really ornery if you don't support their ship. Friendship is magical people. And I. I am a wizard.

Suicidal characters. Not Eridan or Solluxes over-dramatic responses. It's just one of the fastest ways to get me to disconnect.

Kind of conflicting; people who just end drama with magic answers? Like say Dirk - Jake fight. Why are they all so quick to settle? "Oh. I'm sorry! I'll fix that and we can go...blah blah...in my anus....blah blah. Bukakke!" Bitch. I brought a problem to roleplay about since otherwise I'll get a sup. How are you? Fine. BLAGH!

Hm......Fantrolls? I suppose this is mostly cause they all come off as either one of two things; a complete rip off or a self-insert with no viable way to last on Alternia.

Un-creative Karkats.

Big one. People who get butthurt when Karkat says anythings besides I love you and shit like that. Christ people. Grow a fucking pair or uncheck the box.

Aradias. She's done awful most of the time. People forget to uncheck her quirk if she's god tier.

People who disconnect when they see a character's tag? UNCHECK THE FUCKING BOX.

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)