Freshness Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
What do you think is the most important detail of an OC?
Offline 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM
Reply: #1
What do you think is the most important detail of an OC?
I'm curious to see what people think about OC Detail- Y'know, sort of in the way that the first thing you will notice about a person is their teeth.

What's the first aspect of a character that catches your eye? Backstory? Blood color? Boondollars?

In my opinion, I usually pay attention to the horn shape overobsessively. If I don't like it, it bothers me until I forget about it.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...mp;amp;f=1]
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 12-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Reply: #2
RE: What do you think is the most important detail of an OC?
When it comes to appearance, overall design and theme are more important than small details. The colors of any OC should blend nicely, but when you look at a troll you should be able to assess what they're like. To be fair, that depends on how avid they are about their interests and their overall cleanliness, but you can still snag some details. How do they present themselves? Are they dressed nice and fancy, or ragged and dirty? Do their clothes look expensive and make you think of them as a form of royalty, or do they look average? Certain details in outfits can entail interests as well; notable fashion choices, toolbelts or certain hats.

But to answer your question, the detail I love the most is their... stereotype? Their highest concept, their most basic theme that you can assess by looking at a character. If you have a cheery and peppy girl with an interest in cheer or girly things, her theme would be the Popular Girl/the Cheerleader. If you have a guy who games a lot and boasts about how good their K:D ratio is, his theme would be an Epic Gamer. Some basic form of 'who is this character' is what I love to assess first and foremost. After that, it's all a matter of what attributes stay the same and what derives from the norm. Plus, it's just easier to insert them into scenarios.

god this was a lot more lengthy than i expected, but character design is wonderful

[Image: 2NktRQH]
just strollin' along.
{credit}
Quote this message in a reply
Online 12-22-2018, 01:50 AM
Reply: #3
RE: What do you think is the most important detail of an OC?
I usually need to see a good personality and balance of skills. Creativity and an interesting character is what I look for most! Character design is important too, but some people are better artists than others, and judging based on that skill or lack thereof can mean you miss out on a well thought out character :)

Check out my God Tier/Fantroll Help Memo HERE :D!

Quote this message in a reply

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)