Freshness Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fanspecies
Offline 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Reply: #1
Fanspecies
I'm not entirely sure if this goes here... I'm a bit confused by all these forums and sub-forums. Huh

That being said I'm here to talk about fanraces and the like.
I've always wanted to run my own little fan-adventure/rp and a long time ago I adopted a fanrace for my own use. Only now am I deciding to do something with them.

I'm just not sure what makes a good fanrace or what makes a bad one.
I'll be honest, I'm just not sure if I'm a good world builder.
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 12-08-2017, 02:13 AM
Reply: #2
RE: Fanspecies
Oh my god. I haven't been here in a while and honestly, I'm a little rusty on my Homestuck, so I don't know if my opinion is the greatest, but here we go. Try to make your fan races as close to canon as possible. It's definitely irritating if they're obviously not canon. I think creating a rp for your fan-race would be a great way to introduce it and make adjustments as needed. I don't think that you need to be a great world builder for this to work, you just need a bit of creativity and a hell of a lot of knowledge of canon. To be honest, I'd like to know more about the fan-species just so I could critique it better. Otherwise, I mean, just kinda roll with it and see where it goes.

Geminis doing homework.
[Image: tumblr_njbt4j3KNK1r9ee9go3_1280.png]

ThisCrush is outdated, so why not use my Sarahah?
AA's Sarahah
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 12-09-2017, 01:10 AM
Reply: #3
True true I should have posted a little bit of information on the fanrace I've got...

I'll work on it, see if I can't post it either today or tomorrow hopefully. My schedule is a bit hectic at the moment.

(12-08-2017 02:13 AM)arsenicArachnid Wrote:  Oh my god. I haven't been here in a while and honestly, I'm a little rusty on my Homestuck, so I don't know if my opinion is the greatest, but here we go. Try to make your fan races as close to canon as possible. It's definitely irritating if they're obviously not canon. I think creating a rp for your fan-race would be a great way to introduce it and make adjustments as needed. I don't think that you need to be a great world builder for this to work, you just need a bit of creativity and a hell of a lot of knowledge of canon. To be honest, I'd like to know more about the fan-species just so I could critique it better. Otherwise, I mean, just kinda roll with it and see where it goes.

I am curious what you mean by "as close to cannon as possible"?
Offline 12-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Reply: #4
Alright I'm here with some info to post about the fanspecies I've got, hopefully there's some good stuff in here to get some responses.

first ever picture of a diver

Planet X:
In reality I don’t have a name for it. It probably did have a name at one point, but I forgot it, and haven’t come up with a good name.

The Diver home-world is a large planet with an extremely volatile climate; the sky is dominated by huge never-ending thunderstorms and the animal life is just monstrous. The only way Diver’s managed to survive was through their technological advancement. No one is sure when it happened, but at some point in Diver History they managed to suddenly develop high technology, and eventually abandoned their plant’s surface for life in the skies.

Two of their inventions really helped them out here, Symbiotes and Cells.
Cells are what Diver’s call their homes; from the moment of birth each Diver is assigned a Cell of their very own… They’re given the most basic house plan that will effectively see to their needs; having a bedroom, bathroom, and a combined kitchen and living space. Of course, they can buy more rooms and personalize their Cell to suit their needs as soon as they’re able to use the internet/work. In fact, the government encourages young divers to do so.

Cells are pretty much impervious to the storms that constantly batter their planet; hovering in place no matter how strong the winds, waterproof and even capable of absorbing lightening for energy!!

Diver kids live alone until they’ve come of age, and their cell joins up with thousands of others in a city.

Symbiote:
(The machine on the boys back in the image)
Diver’s are weak. In ancient times they were prone to sicknesses, disease and all sorts of health problems. Combined with being a food source to the numerous predators that lived on the surface of the planet with them, Diver lives were usually short and dominated by fear.

Sometime after their miraculous tech-expansion some ingenious scientist came up with the Symbiote, meant to increase their chances of survival. They’re essentially little robot doctors, creating nanobots to fight off infections, synthesizing vaccines, closing wounds…. Lots of helpful things really.

They’re so good at their job that the Diver government decided to keep manufacturing them… with a few upgrades of course.

Caste System:
The divers do have a caste system tied to color and class; I’m just not sure how to set it up in a way that doesn’t resemble the trolls too much. Especially since I want to use the astrological/planet symbols for them… picked solely because I happen to like Greek mythology. It’s my favorite.

But unlike the trolls, who naturally have different blood-colors and centered their caste system on that; the diver’s is a completely artificial creation. At the moment of creation, there isn’t anything different between them. It isn’t until they join with their symbiotes does the Caste System really begin.

The Caste System is highly tied to Jobs; those lower on the caste system are workers who will probably spend all their life doing back-breaking labor, those at the top are more like natural born world-leaders, making tough decisions but with lots of leisurely free-time. Who decides the castes? Robots.
The Birthing Matrices (essentially giant baby factories) that cover the planet monitor the number of divers in each caste and makes predictions on how many will be needed to replace those that have died, as well as the needs of the society they manage.

Wage Slavery:
Each Caste is associated with a particular type of work, and young Diver’s are taught from a young age what will be expected of them when they come of age and join the work force. More often than not young divers will have spent a couple years or so in a practice job simulation; complete with pay and government monitoring to prepare them.

The only ways out of this cycle of never ending misery are death, banishment, or skill.
And it’s that last one that gives thousands of Divers hope. Skill means that they have a marketable well… skill that isn’t caste specific. It can be anything from being a genius inventor to just being a musical star – if you do it well the government is willing to pay you to just make music or fix robots.
You’ve just go to sign over complete control of your product to the government and do what they say.

Government:
I uh… don’t really know about this?
Like I’m not sure what to call it other than oppressive.
Right like there is a small number of the ruling elite (those at the top of the diver caste system), the natural born rulers of the world. Each one of these rulers has their own sector of the planet to rule over in any way they see fit, answerable to really only themselves and perhaps other nosy elites.

They’re responsible for the Diver’s cultural propensity for Greed, their callous disregard for anyone lower than them on the caste system yet fawning attitude for their superiors, and labor they force on literal children. … Basically, they’re the architects behind everything bad in society.

Romance:
Is for the rich.
No really, it’s common opinion in Diver society that if you aren’t rich (AKA: one of the higher castes), then your time is better spent working, or using your free-time to improve your skills to get a promotion.

This sentiment is slowly dying out though, so the PC’s generation will be a bit more open for things like romance and friendships. The government does have an 'approved' method of categorizing relationships. They view friendships as a business; time is money and they're only worth what you get out of it.
Offline 12-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Reply: #5
(12-12-2017 01:10 PM)pickedPocket Wrote:  Alright I'm here with some info to post about the fanspecies I've got, hopefully there's some good stuff in here to get some responses.

first ever picture of a diver

Planet X:
In reality I don’t have a name for it. It probably did have a name at one point, but I forgot it, and haven’t come up with a good name.

The Diver home-world is a large planet with an extremely volatile climate; the sky is dominated by huge never-ending thunderstorms and the animal life is just monstrous. The only way Diver’s managed to survive was through their technological advancement. No one is sure when it happened, but at some point in Diver History they managed to suddenly develop high technology, and eventually abandoned their plant’s surface for life in the skies.

Two of their inventions really helped them out here, Symbiotes and Cells.
Cells are what Diver’s call their homes; from the moment of birth each Diver is assigned a Cell of their very own… They’re given the most basic house plan that will effectively see to their needs; having a bedroom, bathroom, and a combined kitchen and living space. Of course, they can buy more rooms and personalize their Cell to suit their needs as soon as they’re able to use the internet/work. In fact, the government encourages young divers to do so.

Cells are pretty much impervious to the storms that constantly batter their planet; hovering in place no matter how strong the winds, waterproof and even capable of absorbing lightening for energy!!

Diver kids live alone until they’ve come of age, and their cell joins up with thousands of others in a city.

Symbiote:
(The machine on the boys back in the image)
Diver’s are weak. In ancient times they were prone to sicknesses, disease and all sorts of health problems. Combined with being a food source to the numerous predators that lived on the surface of the planet with them, Diver lives were usually short and dominated by fear.

Sometime after their miraculous tech-expansion some ingenious scientist came up with the Symbiote, meant to increase their chances of survival. They’re essentially little robot doctors, creating nanobots to fight off infections, synthesizing vaccines, closing wounds…. Lots of helpful things really.

They’re so good at their job that the Diver government decided to keep manufacturing them… with a few upgrades of course.

Caste System:
The divers do have a caste system tied to color and class; I’m just not sure how to set it up in a way that doesn’t resemble the trolls too much. Especially since I want to use the astrological/planet symbols for them… picked solely because I happen to like Greek mythology. It’s my favorite.

But unlike the trolls, who naturally have different blood-colors and centered their caste system on that; the diver’s is a completely artificial creation. At the moment of creation, there isn’t anything different between them. It isn’t until they join with their symbiotes does the Caste System really begin.

The Caste System is highly tied to Jobs; those lower on the caste system are workers who will probably spend all their life doing back-breaking labor, those at the top are more like natural born world-leaders, making tough decisions but with lots of leisurely free-time. Who decides the castes? Robots.
The Birthing Matrices (essentially giant baby factories) that cover the planet monitor the number of divers in each caste and makes predictions on how many will be needed to replace those that have died, as well as the needs of the society they manage.

Wage Slavery:
Each Caste is associated with a particular type of work, and young Diver’s are taught from a young age what will be expected of them when they come of age and join the work force. More often than not young divers will have spent a couple years or so in a practice job simulation; complete with pay and government monitoring to prepare them.

The only ways out of this cycle of never ending misery are death, banishment, or skill.
And it’s that last one that gives thousands of Divers hope. Skill means that they have a marketable well… skill that isn’t caste specific. It can be anything from being a genius inventor to just being a musical star – if you do it well the government is willing to pay you to just make music or fix robots.
You’ve just go to sign over complete control of your product to the government and do what they say.

Government:
I uh… don’t really know about this?
Like I’m not sure what to call it other than oppressive.
Right like there is a small number of the ruling elite (those at the top of the diver caste system), the natural born rulers of the world. Each one of these rulers has their own sector of the planet to rule over in any way they see fit, answerable to really only themselves and perhaps other nosy elites.

They’re responsible for the Diver’s cultural propensity for Greed, their callous disregard for anyone lower than them on the caste system yet fawning attitude for their superiors, and labor they force on literal children. … Basically, they’re the architects behind everything bad in society.

Romance:
Is for the rich.
No really, it’s common opinion in Diver society that if you aren’t rich (AKA: one of the higher castes), then your time is better spent working, or using your free-time to improve your skills to get a promotion.

This sentiment is slowly dying out though, so the PC’s generation will be a bit more open for things like romance and friendships. The government does have an 'approved' method of categorizing relationships. They view friendships as a business; time is money and they're only worth what you get out of it.

This is honestly the best fanspecies I've heard yet. It's really well written and well developed. I feel like this would be great for a roleplay.

The description though. There could be an entire plotline about this species and you bet that I'd read it. The plot could go so many ways.

10/10. Make a roleplay for this. I'm interested.

Geminis doing homework.
[Image: tumblr_njbt4j3KNK1r9ee9go3_1280.png]

ThisCrush is outdated, so why not use my Sarahah?
AA's Sarahah
Offline 12-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Reply: #6
i had a fanspecies that i did a few months ago with the name Satyrs, they were pretty much like goat people i guess with a society that was based off of satirical and ironic humor.

and if i remember correctly, satyr society had that if the longer the horns a satyr had, the more commonly appreciated their jokes would be and just generally be treated like a ultimate funnyman comedian

of course, there was also mutant satyrs that had 4 horns a la sollux, and mutant satyrs' joke would be held higher than a long-horned satyrs'.

if memory serves correct, however

[Image: UBKCLrH.png] Sethur Eutrea, Knight Of Breath[Image: UBKCLrH.png]

NEW ALTERNIA - MY DISCORD SERVER OF 180+ USERS: https://discord.gg/8NJuBMU
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Offline Today, 03:40 AM
Reply: #7
I'm gonna be honest, satyrs are pretty cool.
If you've got any art of them I'd be really excited to see it.

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)