Freshness Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.29 Average
Fate of the Forums
Offline 06-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Reply: #1
Fate of the Forums
I got in contact with epithetic who designed and used to moderate the Forums and they strongly suggested taking them down. Now I am really torn about what to do so I wanted to get input from the Forum community.

I cannot maintain these boards myself. I know that I will not be around consistently enough to do so, I have to manage MSPARP still on a number of fronts. I started back at my old job recently and have other life obligations as well. Besides that, I'm worried that my presence here might encourage people to come and cause problems since I have drawn a lot of fan ire recently. I really do not want to be a reason why people who enjoy using this website have to deal with problems or harassment. You guys deserve to have a good time and relax cause life is full of stress, but fandom should be full of fun.

So what should we do guys? Is anyone willing to step up? We may not be able to continue hosting if we need to dissociate the site completely from the Forums and the name of it might need to change (along with the logo.... even though the logo is so cool), but I believe there are free services out there that would let you host the site and I'd be willing to help find them.

Whatever the case, if we do need to close them, I want to leave them up as a read-only archive at the very least. We would also wait until we had a way for people to download their threads and perhaps transfer them somewhere else. I know there are a lot of people who have ongoing fan adventures here. Maybe, at the very least, we could shut down some of the boards that are used less frequently and keep the fan adventures sections up?

Please let me know what you guys think.
x1(list)
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Away 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Reply: #2
RE: Fate of the Forums
Personally, thus had been my go to Homestuck forums since MSPAForums itself went down... So losing this site would be really horrible for me, however I do understand that the lack of anyone with enough time to consistently moderate this site shall result in many bad stuff... So, I don't know, I really wish for this site to stay on but at the same time I know how hard it is for mods like you to continue with this site....

Either way, I'll respect your decision, the Homestuck fandom won't be going away anytime soo, and I still have friends whom I have met here so...

I guess that's my opinion in this situation.

muLTIfanDOM TRaSh
OC count: 91 (and counting)

[Image: oTCvtnR.png]
MY AU :V

PM ME TO RP! CANON OR OC, HOMESTUCK OR NOT! I'm a bit shy, sorry.
Find all replies by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 06-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Reply: #3
change is difficult, especially since this site has been a huge part of my life lmao. but i will respect any decisions, im sure users such as myself and others will be willing to help out if any is needed!

baby ur a song

[Image: zacharie_by_k7vin-d64eb0t.gif]

u make me wanna roll my windows down
Offline 06-20-2017, 11:53 AM (This reply was last modified: 06-20-2017 11:53 AM by centaurstesticle.)(Edited by centaurstesticle.)
Reply: #4
(06-20-2017 10:38 AM)freeMiliu_2K01 Wrote:  Personally, thus had been my go to Homestuck forums since MSPAForums itself went down... So losing this site would be really horrible for me, however I do understand that the lack of anyone with enough time to consistently moderate this site shall result in many bad stuff... So, I don't know, I really wish for this site to stay on but at the same time I know how hard it is for mods like you to continue with this site....

Either way, I'll respect your decision, the Homestuck fandom won't be going away anytime soo, and I still have friends whom I have met here so...

I guess that's my opinion in this situation.

Oh, I didn't realize the MSPA Forums had gone down. Darn. Okay. Maybe I can just kind of keep an eye on the forums and low key moderate them? I'm fine right now and much more functional than I have been in the past so I can make it part of my daily routine to check in now and again, but I worry that if I get really depressed again, I'll just shut everything out. The only thing I'm worried about with moderators is that I'd need to monitor them which can actually be more work than the moderation itself.

On the other hand, the boards really need to be updated to more recent software for security reasons and that might break a lot of the neat features that they currently have. The only person who knows how to fix them is not interested in working on it anymore.

So the best case scenario might be for someone really motivated to create new forums and keep the software on them up-to-date, then see if there is a way to transfer some of the content from here to the new ones.
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Online 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Reply: #5
(06-20-2017 08:42 AM)centaurstesticle Wrote:  Whatever the case, if we do need to close them, I want to leave them up as a read-only archive at the very least. We would also wait until we had a way for people to download their threads and perhaps transfer them somewhere else. I know there are a lot of people who have ongoing fan adventures here. Maybe, at the very least, we could shut down some of the boards that are used less frequently and keep the fan adventures sections up?

As one of probably many people who experienced a bit of a scare when the forums were taken down and was completely locked out from more than a year's worth of work for personal projects and things, I'm about this close to getting down on my hands and knees to beg for this to be a thing if anything should happen in that regard.

Granted, not being able to access anything was a reminder for me to back my shit up, but the point stands that if we're losing the forums as a general place to discuss and enjoy Homestuck, I'd at least prefer to keep what we built instead of it being wiped out.

That being said, I would definitely much rather keep the forums up, but I suppose I'm simply preaching into the choir when I say that I'm not exactly going to throw a fit if they have to go down. Getting new moderators sounds like a good idea - if the search just recently was any indication, there are many people willing to help out. Granted, actually having to deal with running a full website on the programming aspect of things as well doesn't sound like everybody's cup of tea, but if this can be salvaged, I'd definitely like to try and see if we all could make this work.

Offline 06-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Reply: #6
I appreciate you warning us in advance about the forums' state now. I do ask for a way to get the threads to be saved somewhere for I value one collaboration project and my silly fanventures.

My fan adventures:

Troll Jailbreak

Trolls but no SGRUB

A kid in some strange world
Offline 06-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Reply: #7
Don't let this die.
I'd be willing to step up and help, since, there has to be at least one Homestuck forum - and this is seriously the more durable one. I originally wanted this site to be put out of its misery initially but maybe there's hope for it yet :0

it's okay to lose yourself sometimes

[Image: JFqSmEg.jpg]
Offline 06-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Reply: #8
I want the forums to continue, if only because of the fact that I've been here for so fucking long. Initially, I was pretty much resigned to the fate of them being gone forever, and I accepted it.

But now that they're back, sort of, I appreciate the fact that they are.

There's still that thread full of potential site applicants, but after the whole fiasco, I'm not sure who would even be willing to step in, if you were to ask.

[Image: PML1RdN.gif]
Offline 06-20-2017, 10:47 PM (This reply was last modified: 06-20-2017 10:52 PM by Sawtooth.)(Edited by Sawtooth.)
Reply: #9
I'm curious as to why it was so heavily suggested to shut down these forums.

(8:26:17 PM) Lord_English: MY POSTERIOR IS MAJESTIC. IN A MOST *UNSEXUAL* AND *NONSCANDALOUS* MANNER.
(8:27:48 PM) Lord_English: IT IS. THE HOTTEST OF ASSES. AND THE MOST PLUSH OF RUMPS.
(8:28:06 PM) Lord_English: IT IS THE SEAT. OF MY HATRED.
Offline 06-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Reply: #10
Christ, I haven't been in the fandom for long, and I've only recently started posting around, but I've realised what a nice place it is on here. It's great. I wouldn't want it to go down.

The most I can offer is moderating, but I've never programmed in my life, though if needed, I guess... I'd be willing to learn? I'd be willing to help out, but I'm really a beginner here, so I'm not sure what good I can do.

I'd still be pretty devastated if we lost the forums.

[Image: j39rr4q]
Fact: Space does not exist.
List of characters I rp is on my profile page!
x1(list)
x1

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)