Freshness Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
A guide on making your modifiers not painfully ooc
Offline 06-19-2017, 11:49 PM (This reply was last modified: 06-20-2017 02:20 AM by clandestineAbattoir.)(Edited by clandestineAbattoir.)
Reply: #1
A guide on making your modifiers not painfully ooc
Hey, y’all!
So, as someone who’s been on PARP for a pretty reasonable amount of time, I’ve seen a lot of funny modifiers in my day, and I’ve had a lot of them myself. Now, there are wrong and right ways to go about modifiers and AU’s, and I’ve seen a lot of people going about modifiers the wrong way. So I decided this little handy guide might be helpful.

****Disclaimer: this does not touch on smut fishing modifiers.****

KEEPING MODIFIERS IC
So, when using a modifier, you’re gonna want to keep the character’s personality recognizable. If it’s just something about their clothes or appearance that’s changed, that should be relatively easy. Something like Redhead!Dirk or Miniskirt!Kankri shouldn’t affect their personalities too much/at all, although you might have to think about how the character would react/why the character is doing the latter.

Another type of modifier I see a lot is the personalitytrait!Modifiers. These are tricky. Some of them, like shy!Karkat, may seem OOC, but depending how mild they are, and how well you know the characters original personality, they can be pulled off. I don’t have the logs saved, but i once ran into a karkat that was literally just Karkat, but a little shyer than canon Karkat. Like I said, these can be tricky to pull off. If you’re going to do this, I’d suggest looking at the pesterlogs again, just to make sure you have the rest of the personality down, because it takes a lot to make a modifier like this believable.

Another modifier that’s tricky to pull off, and can make some people uncomfortable, so be careful about that, is a Drunk! Modifier, or something of the sort. I’m only going to touch briefly on these, due to my own issues. Drunk/other modifiers like that require you to skew a character's personality ever so slightly, while keeping a few core personality traits intact. The severity of this skewing is entirely dependant on how drunk a character is. For example, a “buzzed” Sollux [haha, bee puns] would probably only have a slightly worse lisp, and maybe be a little happier [this is based off my own headcanons, which is that sollux is an emotional drunk.] But a shitfaced sollux would probably be getting some hella mood swings. However, he’d still be pretty sarcastic about it.

The last type of modifier I’m gonna touch on in the AU!modifier. This can be anything from Corpsebride! To humanstuck!c To Angel! These are are really diverse, and it’d be impossible to touch on every point, but a lot of times, these call for a little personality modification, because a character growing up in different circumstances will shape a different personality. This isn’t an excuse to make a character entirely OOC, though. With an AU, you’re making the character fit the AU, not making an OC for an AU. People will be able to tell the difference, trust me. A good Dirk will still be self-hating and kind of a dick no matter the universe. A good Kankri will still be snarky and long winded no matter the universe.

This is something that runs true for all modifiers. The key characteristics of the character have to be there. Otherwise, you don’t have the character, you have an oc that seems like the character. If you’re going to rp a new character, or maybe even an old character with a new modifier, it might be helpful to read through some pesterlogs and list to yourself what those key characteristics are. It’ll help you be able to shape a character based on the modifier without destroying the foundation of that character personality.

I hope this helped, and if there's any types of modifiers I didn't touch on that you’d like to see, let me know!

EDIT: ADVICE ON SWAPS
Well, for this, I'm going to use the example of Dave harley, since i RP him sometimes. For a kidswap, you're gonna wanna try and keep some of the characters core traits, as i said, but also take some traits and circumstances from whomever you're swapping with. For example, some of Daves core characteristics are his insecurity and tendency to ramble. I keep these when rping Dave harley, but I also make him a bit more sensitive and give him more of a love of gardening.
Now, bloodswaps are a bit different. There would be less of a personality change and more of an ability change. Unless you have a character who really cares about the hemospectrum, their personalities are usually entirely independent of their castes. You may want to make them more or less aggressive accordingly, though.

Flowers of rage spring up in the depression. Monsters are born there of nuclear anger.
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Away 06-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Reply: #2
RE: A guide on making your modifiers not painfully ooc
Thanks a lot for this! Question though, do you have any tips for Swap!AU's like Bloodswap, Guardianswap, etc, or should I just keep in mind what you've already said about AU's in general? Since that sort of AU had been the hardest for me to pin down to be honest. Still an awesome guide though by the way! :)

muLTIfanDOM TRaSh
OC count: 91 (and counting)

[Image: oTCvtnR.png]
MY AU :V

PM ME TO RP! CANON OR OC, HOMESTUCK OR NOT! I'm a bit shy, sorry.
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 06-20-2017, 02:19 AM (This reply was last modified: 06-20-2017 02:20 AM by clandestineAbattoir.)(Edited by clandestineAbattoir.)
Reply: #3
RE: A guide on making your modifiers not painfully ooc
(06-20-2017 12:58 AM)freeMiliu_2K01 Wrote:  Thanks a lot for this! Question though, do you have any tips for Swap!AU's like Bloodswap, Guardianswap, etc, or should I just keep in mind what you've already said about AU's in general? Since that sort of AU had been the hardest for me to pin down to be honest. Still an awesome guide though by the way! :)

Well, for this, I'm going to use the example of Dave harley, since i RP him sometimes. For a kidswap, you're gonna wanna try and keep some of the characters core traits, as i said, but also take some traits and circumstances from whomever you're swapping with. For example, some of Daves core characteristics are his insecurity and tendency to ramble. I keep these when rping Dave harley, but I also make him a bit more sensitive and give him more of a love of gardening.
Now, bloodswaps are a bit different. There would be less of a personality change and more of an ability change. Unless you have a character who really cares about the hemospectrum, their personalities are usually entirely independent of their castes. You may want to make them more or less aggressive accordingly, though.

Flowers of rage spring up in the depression. Monsters are born there of nuclear anger.
Quote this message in a reply

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)