RE: Don't say that about my muse!
That's different...
I've never seen that before.

Geminis doing homework.
[Image: tumblr_njbt4j3KNK1r9ee9go3_1280.png]

Comment on my ThisCrush because why not? AA's ThisCrush
Find all replies by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM (This reply was last modified: 03-29-2017 11:41 AM by LostRefrain.)(Edited by LostRefrain.)
Reply: #32
The misconception about Latula being shallow isn't something i've seen before - but much like how Feferi is demonized by some fanfic writers wanting to push the Erigay™ (Or Sollux - though I think Aradia tends to get demonized more in that case? Extra note - Aradia getting put off as the love interest/weird/creepy girl and being left at that. I love her so much) stories, I can definitely believe that's a thing somewhere.

I only recently started roleplaying Tula (for a friend - I have no talent for her i'm afraid), but even just skimming her dialogue would definitely suggest otherwise! Her interactions with Porrim are especially notable; the laid back, quick-hit gamer grl personality that might give readers the impression that she's shallow is definitely a front she puts on for her anxiety.

Was it her conversation with Meenah that gave that impression? The one where Tula admits to having disliked Meenah for "jacking her style", before she noted a difference between "bad girl" and "cool girl"?

[Image: PRo9SZp.png]
Visit this user's website Find all replies by this user
Offline 04-04-2017, 11:22 PM (This reply was last modified: 04-04-2017 11:22 PM by Fubar.)(Edited by Fubar.)
Reply: #33
I cannot really call Kankri my main character or 'muse' per se, then again, I don't use the word "muse" often - I'm not cool enough for such a coolkid word

When I roleplay as Kankri and someone suggests that he would enjoy Porrim's company.

My fan adventures:

Troll Jailbreak

Trolls but no SGRUB

A kid in some strange world
Offline 04-05-2017, 10:31 AM (This reply was last modified: 04-05-2017 10:47 AM by why-am-i-here.)(Edited by why-am-i-here.)
Reply: #34
(03-29-2017 11:37 AM)LostRefrain Wrote:  

Yeah it's weird, right? I'm pretty sure it's Karkat's conversation with Terezi about her, and his frustration that Terezi feels so inferior to someone so fake. He goes on to call ALL the alpha trolls horrible fake caricatures of people (YOU M34N LIK3... T33N4G3RS?) but he rails on Latula for a while. It's a really genuine, sweet moment in which he's giving tz a loud, obnoxious reality check, so people maybe latch onto what he has to say about Latula? If I recall correctly he only ever saw her interact with Kankri (can he interact with her directly? I forget) so that skews things for him. In the fandom sometimes Karkat's Word Is Law.

But yeah!! The Meenah thing is likely part of it (though I'm so frustrated, because that exact same interaction is where you see how much she's covering up her intelligence!! Clearly people who read the bad parts of it also read that!!), and Meenah is kinda the running narrator of that way while game so we're kinda looking at characters from her perspective for a lot of it.

As for Aradia, yeahhhh, creepy girl next door Aradia has ruined many a fic for me. There's a reason I don't try to roleplay her!! She's complex and difficult and you've gotta figure out how to piece together this character who spends most of her early screentime not entirely "herself," and then work out why she is who she isn't AFTER all that - Aradia is an incredibly independently defined character; "I love death and Sollux" or "I'm creepy and killed someone once" isn't gonna cut it.

How many characters are fascinating enough to get lines like "I want to watch what happens when this place falls apart"? (Not an exact quote, sorry.)

(04-04-2017 11:22 PM)Fubar Wrote:  

I think where it comes from is that the way he interacts with her is much more personal. He does call her something like a human sister to him (or at least say that the prospect of dating her almost makes him understand that strange human anathema of incest) and when he talks to her he does a better job of recognizing that there's another person in the conversation. No matter what he thinks of her or how you interpret their interactions, it's undeniably one of Kankri's closest relationships.

Tl;dr I think the fanon idea that he ENJOYS her company - which, come to think of it, I'll grant you is very fanon and not very canon, my personal interpretations aside - probably comes from their definite closeness. It's kind of funny how they can have that closeness even from Kankri's end and he can still not canonically have a single good, enjoyable interaction with her that I can think of off the top of my head. But that just goes to show how socially fucked the alpha trolls are, don't it?

Also in general, as a regular Kankri role player, even I gotta say people bring up Porrim WAY too much. Like come on guys, no matter how you conceptualize their relationship, he's got a life and reputation outside of her!!

A walking choo choo catastrophe striving for horizontal width longening.
aight check it - Broadwaytier's looking for new talent!
Offline 04-05-2017, 04:11 PM (This reply was last modified: 04-07-2017 07:00 AM by Fubar.)(Edited by Fubar.)
Reply: #35
Latula is no stranger to hiding her mind. Her intelligence, her general awareness (she is interested to learn that her and Aranea's Post-Scratch selves were going to kill each other and one of them succeeded in that but she says that such dynamic makes sense for her) and some of her mental health troubles.

From this Meenahquest
LATULA: 1ts k1nd of str3ssful som3t1m3s, k33p1ng 1t up! som3t1m3s 1 forg3t to put z33s on th3 3nd of words, 4nd 1 r34lly str3ss out 4bout 1t.
 #sp3c14lly wh3n 1m off my m3ds

Not to mention that Latula also hides something more dangerous.

In this Meenahquest if you come to Mituna when playing as Damara you'll meet Latula who'll tell Damara:
LATULA: h3y d4mz!!!!
LATULA: 1f you go 4nywh3r3 n34r h1m, 1 w1ll fuck1ng k1ll you!

All while maintaining her cheerful smile.

No, I'm not bashing Latula - I am telling that there is more to her than so-fake-even-Clubs-Deuce-would-probably-see-through-it cool grrrl facade (way to go, Mr. State-The-Obvious).

Not to mention that Latula has one thing that only one other Alpha troll (Mituna) has namely stable flushed relationship that actually survived Mituna's accident and a shitload of years.

Funny how most of Alpha Trolls romance is Fucked Up Beyond All Recognizing while they have hella important friendships - Meenah and Aranea, Latula and Porrim, hell, even Kankri and Cronus

(04-05-2017 10:31 AM)why-am-i-here Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 11:37 AM)LostRefrain Wrote:  

Aradia is an incredibly independently defined character; "I love death and Sollux" or "I'm creepy and killed someone once" isn't gonna cut it.

Aradia is horrendously underrated. Good thing we have this neat guide which makes one incredibly important thing: it lists things separate for Pre-Death Aradia, Ghost one, Aradiabot and God Tier one. As for Aradia and Sollux it's funny because Aradia <3 Sollux has never been canonically conifrmed. Here Mr. Hussie even states the following:
some person Wrote:How can the former relationship between Sollux and Aradia be described? I assume it was red romance, but was it concupiscent or conciliatory?

Andrew Hussie Wrote:Maybe it's more interesting if it's not spelled out.

Like, it's fun to assume that Aradia and Sollux are matesprits and it can lead to many nice roleplaying shenanighans but it's not, like, 100% necessary so the idea of hardcore Erisolshippers (not to be confused with those who ship Erisolsprite with someone [don't ask me how]) actually demonizing Aradia isn't, like, really necessary so Sollux could flee to Eridan. And then a stray Gamzee can immortalize their sweet love by forming perpetually gloomy self-hating sprite

(04-05-2017 10:31 AM)why-am-i-here Wrote:  I think where it comes from is that the way he interacts with her is much more personal. He does call her something like a human sister to him (or at least say that the prospect of dating her almost makes him understand that strange human anathema of incest) and when he talks to her he does a better job of recognizing that there's another person in the conversation. No matter what he thinks of her or how you interpret their interactions, it's undeniably one of Kankri's closest relationships.

Tl;dr I think the fanon idea that he ENJOYS her company - which, come to think of it, I'll grant you is very fanon and not very canon, my personal interpretations aside - probably comes from their definite closeness. It's kind of funny how they can have that closeness even from Kankri's end and he can still not canonically have a single good, enjoyable interaction with her that I can think of off the top of my head. But that just goes to show how socially fucked the alpha trolls are, don't it?

Also in general, as a regular Kankri role player, even I gotta say people bring up Porrim WAY too much. Like come on guys, no matter how you conceptualize their relationship, he's got a life and reputation outside of her!!

Come to think of it, yes their relationship is hella important and still no, they aren't some Wonder Twins who cannot function without one another. On a Kankri and relationship - the mere amount of Kankri <3 Cronus shippers. We have seen Kankri at least having an incredibly rare "tolerate Cronus" skill but they can function as friends just fine (no, I'm not judging those who ship it but I just don't ship it). Sersiously, this ship only gives me more incencitive to never roleplay one of my favorite gag characters (Cronus) in 1-on-1 connections (tha main reason not to be Cronus on there is that I still believe that a prolonged exposure to this sleazeball in 1-on-1 convo violates Geneva Convention.)

(04-05-2017 10:31 AM)why-am-i-here Wrote:  Yeah it's weird, right? I'm pretty sure it's Karkat's conversation with Terezi about her, and his frustration that Terezi feels so inferior to someone so fake. He goes on to call ALL the alpha trolls horrible fake caricatures of people (YOU M34N LIK3... T33N4G3RS?)

All Alpha trolls are horrible fake caricatures of people. It doesn't cancel the fact that their life is a fucking nightmare.

My fan adventures:

Troll Jailbreak

Trolls but no SGRUB

A kid in some strange world
Offline 05-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Reply: #36
for karkat:

-short (he's 5'8" for me, sometimes a little taller whereas i mostly see 5'4")
-GROUCHY AND UNLOVING (no he's a kind person sometimes he just doesn't take shit)
-albino for humanstuck (ginger)
-violent (...no)
-"fuckass" (god no)

for dave:

-im gonna ship w/ them (i have my preferences ok)
-he's straight (no explanation)
-he'll take off his shades w/o effort (the poor kid was abused)
-"irony" (?? hes sarcastic)

for dirk:

-he's straight (no)
-he abused dave (a form of him did, he did not)
-mlp (never)

for equius:

-BURLY AND STRONG ALWAYS RAAA (he works out to keep muscle mass. he's not a bodybuilder, he works for function. he is not ridiculously tall or stout and is above average of a high metabolism male's muscle mass.)
-shy (no he's obedient and easily flustered)
-HORSE ENTHUSIAST ALWAYS HORSES RAINBOW DASH (no. he likes them. they're good. he makes puns. he is not going to fuck a horse.)

for roxy:

-gay (not always??? she may be she may not be it depends)
-drunk (i hate this?? i don't ever ever ever play drunk roxy it's such a miniscule part of an amazing character that made her who she is)
-stupid/dumber than rose (rose is hyperanalytical, roxy is a different brand of amazingly smart and talented)

for hal:

-short (6'4")
-full of the bakas/meme use constant/edgelord/cringey 12 year old phase (hal is crazy smart. he's a supercomputer sociopath asshole. he gives no shits.)
-he'll be nice to you (sociopath)

i'm sure there's more but i have quite a few that make me tick. sorry this is so long, lmao.

TLDR: i hate a lot of things people assume about my muses, most oftenly sexuality, height, and fanonness.

[Image: tumblr_n7tdax9DoT1s1ayhao1_r1_500.gif]

I have so many fucking splinters that I carry tweezers around.
Offline 06-06-2017, 12:55 PM (This reply was last modified: 06-06-2017 12:57 PM by why-am-i-here.)(Edited by why-am-i-here.)
Reply: #37
Tbh now that this memo is back.... the day has come, I have one of these for Signless, and it never stops keep happening.

When Signless is talking to a highblood, and Signless says hey maybe stop doing bad things, and the highblood's response is "you're making that up." Like, the mun is saying he made it up. Signless could be saying that Mindfang keeps slaves (canon, because I don't like autoing people) or that the Grand Highblood's church preaches that mutants are inherently heretical and also yknow paints its walls with blood (canon, because I don't like autoing people), and they respond wow he's stereotyping them so hard he's so bad and biased against highbloods this is why we feel attacked

Like I GET if you're like actually, you're misinformed! This is my theory about how my character just pretended to be awful, while secretly helping people! But the reaction that Signless is being specifically bigoted against highbloods when he hasn't made any sweeping generalizations is a little hard to take :/

x1(list)
x1
Offline 06-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Reply: #38
"mituna wouldn't use curse words"

did you even
read the comic

baby ur a song

[Image: zacharie_by_k7vin-d64eb0t.gif]

u make me wanna roll my windows down
Offline 06-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Reply: #39
(06-06-2017 01:47 PM)eponymousLockpick Wrote:  "mituna wouldn't use curse words"

did you even
read the comic

whaaaaaaaaaaat

Offline 06-06-2017, 11:39 PM
Reply: #40
This applies equally to Latula, Karkat, and Dave.

KNIGHTS WEAR MASKS. They mask their true personalities underneath a persona they've adopted as a sort of mental defense mechanism- whether to cope with an abusive upbringing and the subconscious knowledge that your guardian sees you as worthless, compensate for feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness in a society where your blood merits instant killing, or to overaffirm their independence in a society where those that are seen as needing assistance are coddled to death.

Those cliches about your Knight character? Use some of them, but don't let that be all they are. Leave a crack in the facade to show their complexity as a person. Those personality traits are a cover for a trash novel that's been affixed to the front of a deep, thought provoking story. It's a sticker you put on there, and you gotta leave the corner lifted so they can peel that fucker away to get to who your character REALLY IS.

This goes for Knight OCs too- it's a thing to keep in mind.

I wish some people would use this before claiming stupid things.

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)