Freshness Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2.33 Average
Reply: #1
So I was thinking about the reputation system and I had two thoughts, but one would probably be less likely to be bashed on.

How about changing the rep so that it's just comments without a rating?

I know I am guilty of having a large amount of negative comments on here, but I've talked to some people and the reputation system and they said it's pretty intimidating to them.

I may as well talk about my second option though, which was to get rid of the system all together. It was mainly for reasons above, it intimidates people. But it also creates prejudice on people who have never talked to you before, like "I've never talked to you, but I've heard such and such about you so".

And when people read back on rep, it can hurt their feelings, even if it's from a time where they were mean, but have changed and vice versa. This leads to the ratings being biased, and some don't give the full picture of some people like myself, who can be helpful and nice, but can also be a bit rude at times (again, I am guilty of this).

The rep system is good and all, showing who the most popular people are, but it's just a number- right? But I think it could be changed so it's less intimidating to people. But with my ideas, could it run the risk of the already existing reps being wiped off?

[Image: tumblr_m1kzc599dj1qa6lp8.gif]
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 08-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Reply: #2
RE: Reputation
Although it is a good idea, I do believe that keeping it would be better. It does help people learn how to stop being 'petty' and such, so they know how to 'fix' the self. Although sometimes it does hurt people's feelings, it's better to know the honest truth.

Quote this message in a reply
Offline 08-23-2016, 12:29 PM (This reply was last modified: 08-23-2016 12:42 PM by why-am-i-here.)(Edited by why-am-i-here.)
Reply: #3
I agree with PR's above comment, and I feel like rep is a way of holding users accountable. Yes, it's possible for such a system to play out as favoritism, but in my experience it largely hasn't. I've honestly been too afraid to leave negative or even neutral rep for anyone, so I only end up repping the people I admire or see being particularly kind/helpful, but negative reputation is a low-level way of site members saying "hey, you better shape up," without needing to make bans or other "real" punishments any stricter or more common.

If someone is abusing the rep system (such as creating multiple accounts to slander someone, etc), I think that's something that mods could attend to, and is, if I recall, a ban-able offense. But the rep system as a whole feels like a decent way of taking an online space and replicating the sort of social responsibility that you would feel without the internet's relative anonymity, which is something more online spaces need imo.

A walking choo choo catastrophe striving for horizontal width longening.
aight check it - Broadwaytier's looking for new talent!
Offline 08-24-2016, 02:37 AM
Reply: #4
I couldn't have worded it any better, WAIH. I've been thinking of a way to say that for a while- it more or less gives consequences for acting out in an inflammatory way, and can promote communicaton between users. While a negative reputation can be a bit of a scarlet letter at times, usually the positives outweigh the negative.

[Image: PML1RdN.gif]

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)