Freshness Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Up your Roleplaying Game, Installment 1: "How are you."
Offline 05-03-2016, 07:47 AM (This reply was last modified: 05-03-2016 08:03 AM by why-am-i-here.)(Edited by why-am-i-here.)
Reply: #1
Up your Roleplaying Game, Installment 1: "How are you."
Yes, installment one, as in I will likely make more! These will just be little things that I type out when I see fit and have a moment to do so. As for today's topic?

Come on now, everyone's been there.

"How are you?"
"Good. How are you?"
"Good."
"..."

As a certified IRL Queen of Awkward, I get it, really I do. But fortunately, in roleplay, we don't have to be our socially clueless selves! These are a couple of the tricks I've personally found to prevent such an exchange from going wrong.

1 - Pick another emotion.
"How are you?" Maybe you're not fine! That's not me begging for insta-sadstuck, because that can be a turn-off to an rp if not done well and can be boring if used too often. That's also not asking you to have your character necessarily say how they are outright, because characters are people and people are not honest. Be real, if someone asks you how you are, irl you do say "fine" nine times out of ten. But you can afford to choose something other than fine, and decide based on the character how they would express it.
See, now we're reading a bit more like a real pesterlog! Forgive my Jade, I haven't roleplayed her in years.

2 - Say something offensive/controversial/etc.
I will admit, this one probably works best because I'm a Kankri roleplayer. But I mean... say something that the other character has an interest in responding to. Tell Karkat you're alright but you just saw the WORST movie, tell Equius you're happy because someone of a higher caste than you finally shut up and listened to you, give the other roleplayer's muse a reason to have a gut reaction. (This requires a bit of what part 3's saying, but tends to be easier, since it's just a matter of working in a side comment.)

Of course, I say that as someone who likes a bit of conflict in a roleplay - what can I say, I like arguing. If you don't:

3 - Don't just make it about emotion.
This one's harder, but gets you so much farther. It's nice to go in with some action happening - making small talk is as hard for fictional characters as it is for real people, so make sure you're talking ABOUT something.

Maybe you're Jake asking Dirk about future movie franchises. John can tell Jane about the BEST prank he's planning, or enlist her help in it. I've actually got several of these ideas just sitting around.

Both of the above examples are less a response to "how are you," and more something to say in the lull thereafter. Don't force it if the other person's already started something, but go ahead and be ready to jump in if there IS an awkward pause.

To use it after a "how are you," rather than waiting, just tie it into your answer: if you're the Summoner talking to Mindfang, tell her you're worried (your answer) BECAUSE morale among the Rebellion's troops is low, or tell her you're excited (your answer) BECAUSE of plans the two of you made for the night. It's a bit of an art in its own right to learn when to do this, and how to do it in a way that feels natural, but that's something that can come only with practice, and the payoff is some really wonderful rps.

In any case - I know this is all some pretty basic stuff! But that's the idea of it: just a little guide to help out those still trying to figure out how to navigate roleplays. This is definitely the next step from learning to represent a character to learning to USE that representation to, with your roleplay partner, create something meaningful.

Hope I helped; feedback is welcome!

A walking choo choo catastrophe striving for horizontal width longening.
aight check it - Broadwaytier's looking for new talent!
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Away 05-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Reply: #2
RE: Up your Roleplaying Game, Installment 1: "How are you."
Wow, I can't believe my eyes. I actually needed this. Not to say that I don't normally need RPing guides for bettering myself, but Oh my god. This is perfection. I've always had problems starting off chats without sounding cliché and overdone. But this guide, oh man, this guide. This guide gives me ideas and opens the gateway for great conversation starters. Thanks for this and I look forward to the rest of your guides in this series!

Don't tell my mom I like homestuck.
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 05-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Reply: #3
(05-05-2016 01:46 PM)SoCynicalItHurts Wrote:  Wow, I can't believe my eyes. I actually needed this. Not to say that I don't normally need RPing guides for bettering myself, but Oh my god. This is perfection. I've always had problems starting off chats without sounding cliché and overdone. But this guide, oh man, this guide. This guide gives me ideas and opens the gateway for great conversation starters. Thanks for this and I look forward to the rest of your guides in this series!

Oh hey, thank you! That's the highest form of compliment, honestly UuU

x1 x1(list)
x1
x1
Offline 06-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Reply: #4
Bump! Also note: a lot of this could be used for actual personal conversation starters as well!
Offline 06-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Reply: #5
(06-22-2016 01:45 PM)skepticMatter Wrote:  Bump! Also note: a lot of this could be used for actual personal conversation starters as well!

(Well hah, I wouldn't recommend #2 irl, just to set the record straight here. I refuse any liability! But thanks for the little bump!)

Offline 07-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Reply: #6
omg I needed this because I actually have to idea how to rp. I'm clueless and whenever I try to rp it's very awkward and it just goes like "hi" "hey" "....". I'll have to try this.

[Image: tumblr_mp633gEWGa1sqw6q1o7_400.gif]
Offline 10-23-2017, 10:19 AM (This reply was last modified: 10-30-2017 10:30 AM by confusedCaretaker.)(Edited by confusedCaretaker.)
Reply: #7
oh man okay dude dude dude

so i was looking around for stuff abt this bc i have some serious trouble with this but i might as well share what i usually do if we both just send the awkward "yo what up" messages. and i dont know if this is normal, mind you, but its... kind of what i do in real life too. with friends. and sometimes acquaintances. and sometimes... teachers. which doesnt always go over too well. anyways.

i always have at least one totally weird thought running around my head, so when my partner says theyre doin good and asks about my muse, since im almost always dave or davepeta, uh. i just. vocalize it.

for instance:

or

like, the results are mixed. but that first one led to some neat conversation about time players and dead shit, whether or not its okay to do surgery on your friends corpse, a kankri impression, multiple attempts to fight, and, finally, blackmail, leading to- yay!- an actual plot. that second one... i think i threatened to sue jade for being a nice person. not my smoothest moment. (if youre reading this... sorry, jade.)

but, like, long story short, this only works maybe 20% of the time? and im 100% gonna try what u were talkin bout instead of just. wordvomit. like this comment is.

where was i going with this?

[edit: just for the record, i have absolutely no fucking memory of posting this]

CG: IS THIS A METAPHOR?
TG: no this is me being locked in a closet

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)