Freshness Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Kase's music (If you can even call it that)
Away 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM (This reply was last modified: 04-25-2016 01:35 PM by Kase.)(Edited by Kase.)
Reply: #1
Kase's music (If you can even call it that)
I don't make original music. Not yet anyway. And all original music I do make is all bass, rhythm chords and percussion. I have no Idea how to make a developed melody. At least, not one that sounds good anyhow. However, I do know how to make some good arrangements, but even that's subject to the listener.

Most of my stuff's on my Google Drive and in .OGG format to save my audio quality and storage space. If you have Windows Media Player, this link should enable you to download something allowing you to play .OGG files from Windows Media Player. I have a Soundcloud where I repost memes, as well as tracks I cover.

Cave Story in SGM soundfont. The woodwinds in White are done with the WeedsGM3 soundfont, so that's not entirely true.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky in SGM soundfont. These songs are fun, yet hard to do. Suggestions are welcome for songs from that game to cover, as well as criticism for the songs I've already done.

Mother 3 style songs. Just a bunch of songs I redid in the instrument format of Mother 3 with guest appearances from the Violin from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team.

Various Shit. Just ask if you're unsure if a song belongs to me. SF_TEST has some good shit tho.

As a bonus, If there are any songs in .ORG format those can be played via Org Maker 2, and all songs in .pttcop can be played in PxTone. Both programs were created by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya, the creator of Cave Story. Link's here, I suggest you downloading both If you wanna make music yourself.

Let me know if any links are broken. Otherwise, enjoy!

Don't tell my mom I like homestuck.
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 04-26-2016, 04:00 AM (This reply was last modified: 04-26-2016 04:04 AM by OneBigParadox.)(Edited by OneBigParadox.)
Reply: #2
RE: Kase's music (If you can even call it that)
I absolutely love all of your Undertale covers using the Mother 3 soundfonts. Absolutely gorgeous covers. Also, don't think I didn't see that smash mouth cover, either. :^)

As for the trouble with writing melodies, I am right there with you. The only training I've ever had in any kind of music theory was concert band class and that one video by OneyNG. Which, if you don't know what I'm talking about, can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZr5k1_9Dds

As a guy who is always trying to come up with original music myself, I think it might be better to just to stick to covers and stuff before I can actually find out a good strategy to writing melodies.

That being said, I love it! Keep it up! :D

[Image: jphfn.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Away 05-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Reply: #3
(04-26-2016 04:00 AM)OneBigParadox Wrote:  I absolutely love all of your Undertale covers using the Mother 3 soundfonts. Absolutely gorgeous covers. Also, don't think I didn't see that smash mouth cover, either. :^)

I also did a cover of Rick Astley's famous song. You should totes check that out too. If you can find it amongst all the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl shit.

Also, the Various Musak folder is where a lot of my original/miscellaneous music can be found. SWANG and Walking_Bass are the most recent original things I've done.

Quote:As for the trouble with writing melodies, I am right there with you. The only training I've ever had in any kind of music theory was concert band class and that one video by OneyNG. Which, if you don't know what I'm talking about, can be found here.

I've watched OneyNG's vid, he doesn't really go over anything I haven't learned in percussion class. I think it's best to listen to a lot of varied music, start on genres that are easy for you and work from there. I have an easy time with swing and latin, so I work on those genres.

I have basic competence when it comes to writing melodies. I feel like I wanna make melodies that are as catchy and as memorable as Toby Fox's or Koji Kondo's, when I really have very basic music knowledge. I have some good songs, but most of the songs I do are bassed based solely on the bassline. I need to stop setting my expectations so high. I work on what I can do for now, and move up from there.

Quote:As a guy who is always trying to come up with original music myself, I think it might be better to just to stick to covers and stuff before I can actually find out a good strategy to writing melodies.

That being said, I love it! Keep it up! :D

A good tip for melodies is to work on Basslines and scales first and base the rest of the song on 1 or two scales, and chords (if any) on the bassline. Of course, I'm not a big composer, I'm a novice at best. But, I do have knowledge as a drummer/percussionist/future bassist. These are basic things in composition. I'll be taking Music Theory next year, so I may return with more knowledge to give you and apply to my music.

Thank you for the compliments tho!

Away 07-14-2016, 10:43 PM (This reply was last modified: 07-15-2016 10:10 PM by Kase.)(Edited by Kase.)
Reply: #4
Music RE: Kase's music (If you can even call it that)
I think I need to revive this. Not bump it, but revive it. Because I have more music for you guys. Better Music for you all. As well as some original stuff to balance my amount of covers/arrangements.

First, let me link my recent Soundcloud playlist. As you'll see I have about 7 original tracks. All of which are have varying degrees of success. I'll give a quick summary of each track.
  • Mother 3 Lounge Jazz - I did a Lounge Swing piece using the Mother 3 soundfont. It's based off of the Brothel/Kissing Booth theme from Spelunky.
  • Etrian Odyssey stuff - EO mixes Realistic Drums with Sega Genesis sounds for a kickass soundtrack. I tried creating a piece similar to that.
  • Walking Bass Swing - Walking Bass. Swing. Pretty self-explanatory.
  • SWANG - A piece I did in the same program used to create the Cave Story soundtrack. It's done in triplets.
  • Troublesome Foe - A song inspired by Troublesome Guys from Mother 3, but done in Earthbound style.
  • Megadrive Stuff - I downloaded a bunch of Sega Genesis samples and made something with them. Both this song and the next one were done using PxTone. Another, more comprehensive program by Daisuke Amaya, the creator of Cave Story.
  • Based on the Bass - A song based on the initial bassline. Inspired by a song my Percussion Ensemble, Sinister Minister by Bela Fleck.

I'm also doing a bunch more arrangements of Pokemon songs. Two games in particular: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.

For all of these I use free soundfonts. I'll link the Reddit post I did for Mystery Dungeon if you want more info. Feel free to ask questions here though. This project may be on temporary hiatus because I'm working on an Art project for a friend, and the next song is Sky Tower (a song that is almost 4 minutes without it being looped!) so don't worry if it's not updated as much.

For Diamond and Pearl, I'm using an old, yet good (not to mention, free!) Drumset VST for the Drumset parts and Timbres of Heaven for everthing else. Except for Electric Piano 1, that's done with HQ Orchestral. I'll direct you to the first post for more info on how to process .OGG files. The files are split up into Intro and Loop because my Drum VST is crap when it loops and ends of dragging behind the rest of the instruments. These songs are easier to do that Mystery Dungeon, so this will probably be updated more frequently. Leave suggestions of what songs from that soundtrack you wanna hear arranged by yours truly. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy and some feedback and critique would be nice.

Offline 07-20-2016, 04:57 AM
Reply: #5
I quite like General Of Justice.

My fan adventures:

Troll Jailbreak

Trolls but no SGRUB

A kid in some strange world

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)