Freshness Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
(Mary Sue/Gary Stu) Oc test! (WIP)
Offline 04-08-2016, 11:02 PM (This reply was last modified: 04-11-2016 10:47 AM by MissMurder.)(Edited by MissMurder.)
Reply: #1
(Mary Sue/Gary Stu) Oc test! (WIP)
I figured that since there are so many fantroll/fankid making guides. There should also be a place to test if your leaning too far towards a Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

This is in major WIP form!

Answer these honestly! Its ok to accidentally make a Mary Sue, this is only to help. For each question, if its a yes, then add one point to your score, simple.

FT = Fantrolls only
FK = Fankids only.

Name and sign
* Do they share a name with you? (FK)
* Do they share a similar name to a canon character? Last name counts. (ex: Jessie Harley)
* Do they have a name that could be used for a human? (FT)
* Is the name more or less than 6 letters? (FT)
* Does their sign have a resemblance to any canon character? (ex:re-colors)
* Is their sign crazy, "all over the place", or too complex?

Appearance
* Eye color is abnormal. (all white, red are ok for trolls only)
* Non natural black hair (FT,hair dye is another story, albinos are not canon)
* More than 2 sets of horns. (FT)
* Horns are not their original red, orange, yellow colors. (FT)
* Horns that are not proportioned with their body. (FT)
* Animal based abnormalities. (FT, ive seen it with snakes trolls)
* Do they look a lot like a canon character?
* Similar clothing to a canon character? (not small things, but very noticeable things.)

Blood, blood, blood~!
(FT only)
*A mutant?
*An Albino?
*A limeblood?
*A male fuchsia?
*A color in between violet and fuchsia?
*A jade?
*Black or white blood?
*Rainbow? (bleh)

Powers/abilities
(WIP)

Relationships
*Are they in a relationship with a canon character? (if its a canon character with a canon matesprit, give yourself another point)
*Any relations with a canon character? (trolls dont work like human families)
*They are the kid of a set of canon characters?
*A love child of a ship?

Backstory
(WIP)

(major WIP)
Any suggestions to categories?

~Miss Murder~
==> You now have the
[Image: embed.php?text=Legendary%20Coca-Colakind...lor=FF0000]
Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 04-08-2016, 11:04 PM (This reply was last modified: 04-08-2016 11:09 PM by Salvr.)(Edited by Salvr.)
Reply: #2
RE: (Mary Sue/Gary Stu) Oc test! (WIP)
Categories:

Powers ("Why Satan made me so beautiful")

Relationships (with canon characters especially)

Backstory (all the pesky little cliches)

Also, I know this would be a lot of work but to answer (not on every item but at least on a combined group) exactly why is it bad and how to make it better

Edit:
http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm
and
http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-how...ter-test-1

are p good tests for these exact purposes

There is no path.
Beyond the scope of light, beyond the reach of Dark.
What could possibly await us?
And yet, we seek it, insatiably
Such is our fate.

Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin

A Victory Guaranteed
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 04-09-2016, 12:22 AM
Reply: #3
I think I used one of those quizzes before (I got worried mine was bad XD). All the categories you mentioned (powers, relationships, and backstory) are ones im currently working on. Ill probably make a why its bad to how to make it better at the end due to the large paragraph its gonna be.

~Miss Murder~
==> You now have the
Offline 04-09-2016, 05:30 PM (This reply was last modified: 04-09-2016 05:31 PM by Beans.)(Edited by Beans.)
Reply: #4
What I've seen a lot of tests have - particularly the Universal Mary Sue Litmus Test - is a De-Sue section - a portion at the very end of the test for removing gathered Sue points from the final score. Some examples of questions in this section:

- Your character has been injured and did not make it out totally okay.
- Your character is legitimately unattractive, and not for the sake of a beauty-and-the-beast tale.
- Your character has been honestly cowardly.
- Your character has had their ass whooped, and they did NOT get easy vengeance.
- Your character has a debilitating fear that does NOT get conquered at an opportune time.
- Your character takes a realistically long time to develop skills.
- You've extensively/appropriately researched any potential mental/physical issues your character faces.

I'd also recommend a Troll-Only section on how well the troll adheres to Alternian/Beforan society. For example, a troll that's not a seadweller might get a point for liking fashion, since it's said in canon that land-dwelling trolls generally think fashion is stupid.

Hope that helps!

x1(list)
x1
Offline 04-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Reply: #5
I made a Mary-sue test (one each for trolls and humans) would anybody like me to post it?
(or the link to it)

Offline 04-09-2016, 11:16 PM (This reply was last modified: 04-09-2016 11:17 PM by MissMurder.)(Edited by MissMurder.)
Reply: #6
@Beans: I am going to add a de-sue at the end eventually. Most likely after I finish the rest of the test. Also, on the topic of fashion, what about Kanaya? She wouldn't fall under the "landweller that doesn't care for fashion ". (Though jades are rare). Would there maybe be a slight exception?

@Ghost: I ya want, but would you mind me using some examples from yours?

~Miss Murder~
==> You now have the
Offline 04-10-2016, 01:01 AM (This reply was last modified: 04-10-2016 01:03 AM by Ghostsoul.)(Edited by Ghostsoul.)
Reply: #7
@MissMurder
I wouldn't mind at all!
Should I give you the links here?

Hmmm, I might as well
https://www.quotev.com/story/7178801/Fan...ue-tests/3
(Trolls)
https://www.quotev.com/story/7178801/Fan...e-tests/13
(Humans/Kids)
They aren't really complex, but should give you a good idea.

x1 x1(list)
Away 04-10-2016, 01:04 AM (This reply was last modified: 04-10-2016 01:06 AM by disconsolateSage.)(Edited by disconsolateSage.)
Reply: #8
In the realm of non-Homestuck OCs, I like to refer to these:

- Do they have a normal name, especially for their era? (For example, 'Raven' isn't a common name, especially not in the Middle Ages.)
- If they have powers, exactly how many do they have, and what are they?
- If they have any physical or mental issues, how much do they hinder their day-to-day life?
- If your character has a large, noticeable scar, does it take away from their appearance, even a little bit? (If they have a scar across their face, it typically will be, at least until it has mostly faded.)
- Does their appearance have any imperfections, mental and physical? (Take Harry Potter, for example - Hermione is close to genius standards, yes, but she is neurotic and has buck teeth and frizzy hair, as stated and shown throughout the series, especially in the beginning.)
- Does everyone love them? (Your character can't be adored by everyone. That isn't how it works.)
- Do their enemies hate them for logical reasons? (Do they dislike them because of a past incident, or because they're "so much more beautiful than them"?)

I could go on, but I won't for the sake of keeping this brief.
Offline 04-10-2016, 03:00 AM
Reply: #9
@Sage: The list was pretty helpful, what you said is going more into detail of some of the categories I was working on. Though the test is mainly for homestuck OCs, some of these points still count in this test. Such as the love interest one and the power one.

~Miss Murder~
==> You now have the
Offline 04-10-2016, 06:06 AM
Reply: #10
(04-09-2016 11:16 PM)MissMurder Wrote:  Also, on the topic of fashion, what about Kanaya? She wouldn't fall under the "landweller that doesn't care for fashion ". (Though jades are rare). Would there maybe be a slight exception?

You're right; Kanaya is a really big exception. I'm not saying the troll is garbage if they like fashion a little bit, but it's stated in canon that Kanaya is a big minority.

I had actually started constructing a Fantroll Mary Sue test last month, but never finished it. If you like, I can PM you it, and you can use what's there.

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)