Freshness Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Two Bee or Not Two Bee - Sollux Captor RP Guide
Offline 02-19-2017, 01:51 PM (This reply was last modified: 11-26-2017 12:51 PM by Alienoid.)(Edited by Alienoid.)
Reply: #1

SOLLUX CAPTOR

[Image: WdzUFHL.png]
Minor shout-out to ambiguousTrials for reignating my spark for writing guides!
Sollux! There aren't a whole lot of guides for him on these boards, so I figured, as someone who considers himself a decent Mr. Double Trouble, that I'd offer any tips and advice that I had. I can't promise that this will be a guide that the average schmuck can pick up and read cover to cover and know everything about the character, but I figured I'd share my two cents on my personal interpretations on the guy from a rereading or two of all of his pesterlogs. I'm not an expert by any means, but seeing as how I already made a thread about trivial Sollux facts, I don't see the harm in sharing my thoughts.

Now, Sollux is a little bit of an interesting case in Homestuck, due to his rather limited screentime in-comic. When I say I reread all of his logs a few times, I'm not saying this took place over the course of days or even weeks (like some other characters might get to brag about). He, really doesn't get a lot of dialogue in. Even less so in a state where he isn't dead or disabled in any capacity. So, take this with a grain or two of salt. Please note that this guide will only cover alive, seeing Sollux. I might edit/make a new guide for other Sollux's some day, but for now, this is what you're getting.

How this is gonna work is I'm gonna split this all up into sections, going from the shallowest to the most in-depth (in my opinion), so that if you don't want to read pages upon pages of information, you can just skim-read a TL;DR section and move on with your life. In fact, here's that section now! Enjoy:

TL;DR

Don't want to read pages upon pages of boring shit that doesn't matter to you? Then just read this section and hopefully you'll leave this page with the right info and lessons.

WHAT NOT TO DO

Here are some common mistakes people make when writing/roleplaying as Sollux, why they're wrong, and how to not fuck up like a limbless burger flipper.

QUIRK

A run-down of Sollux's quirk, and the few nuances that come with it. There's more to cover here than one might expect at first.

PERSONALITY

This section specifically covers Sollux's personality. It's very important to note that his interests are not covered fully in this section - that's the next one.

INTERESTS

This section specifically covers Sollux's interests, and how he might go about discussing them with others.

Find all replies by this user
Edit this reply Quote this message in a reply
Offline 02-19-2017, 01:52 PM (This reply was last modified: 02-28-2017 03:02 PM by Alienoid.)(Edited by Alienoid.)
Reply: #2

RELATIONSHIPS

Despite Sollux being rather introverted and reclusive, he still does talk to other people SOMETIMES. Here's what to expect in almost any given match-up.

SUGGESTIONS IN ROLEPLAY

Here we have a whole bunch of personal headcanons and tips and advice I have for those using PARP. Whether it's ideas for starters, ideas for typing style or ideas for actions, they're all here.

QUESTIONS

These are questions that I've been asked directly myself!

Well, I've finally done it. This has been sitting around in my drafts since early 2016, and I've finally completed it. My very own Sollux RP guide that is ridiculously long. I apologise profusely about the intense length of the thing, I simply wanted it to be as accurate and detailed as possible. Whether you read, skimmed or ignored the whole thing, thanks for giving this a read! If there's anything else I missed, please feel free to let me know, because I want this guide to be as thorough and complete as I can make it. As a huge Sollux fanboy, I really wanted to do him justice, and what better way to do him justice than to teach others how to do him justice? Maybe making this less ridiculously long, perhaps, but that is completely beside the point.

I'll also note that the answers section is more than open to additions! I realise that it's sometimes more than a little tricky to fully grasp a character from reading words alone, so if I'm able to answer any burning curiosities lurking about, I'd be more than ecstatic. Thanks for reading this!

Quote this message in a reply
Away 02-21-2017, 02:04 AM
Reply: #3
RE: Two Bee or Not Two Bee - Sollux Captor Guide
Oh man. Good gracious gosh darn heck, this is such great guide. Informative, insightful, not to mention fun to read as well! Thanks so much for sharing!

I notice you have a Speech Pattern segment in your Suggestions category, and if I may be so bold as to propose a wee suggestion of my own:

x1(list)
Offline 02-21-2017, 06:13 AM
Reply: #4
(02-21-2017 02:04 AM)helloWorld Wrote:  Oh man. Good gracious gosh darn heck, this is such great guide. Informative, insightful, not to mention fun to read as well! Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you so much!! Ah, I'm glad the effort paid off, then. I'm especially stoked to hear the term 'fun to read' in that sentence, mind you me.

(02-21-2017 02:04 AM)helloWorld Wrote:  I notice you have a Speech Pattern segment in your Suggestions category, and if I may be so bold as to propose a wee suggestion of my own:

Holy crap, that's brilliant. That is actually brilliant. I might actually add that to the guide if you don't have any major issues with it. I already hit 15,000 words, might as well make it past that if I can.

Online 02-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Reply: #5
speaking of typing quirk, could you elaborate on blind and ghalf-blind half-dead Sollux - his changes to symbol replacement AND how do changes in his personality affect his speech?

My fan adventures:

Troll Jailbreak

Trolls but no SGRUB

A kid in some strange world
Offline 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Reply: #6
(02-21-2017 07:27 AM)Fubar Wrote:  speaking of typing quirk, could you elaborate on blind and ghalf-blind half-dead Sollux - his changes to symbol replacement AND how do changes in his personality affect his speech?

Sorry to say, but,
(02-19-2017 01:51 PM)Alienoid Wrote:  Please note that this guide will only cover alive, seeing Sollux. I might edit/make a new guide for other Sollux's some day, but for now, this is what you're getting.
Although I'm sure it's easy enough to Google.

x1(list)
x1
Away 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Reply: #7
(02-21-2017 06:13 AM)Alienoid Wrote:  Holy crap, that's brilliant. That is actually brilliant. I might actually add that to the guide if you don't have any major issues with it. I already hit 15,000 words, might as well make it past that if I can.

If you do decide to add it to the guide, I only ask that you cite this wonderful post instead of me. That's how I originally became aware of this cute little nuance in his quirk, way back in my fanfic writing days. Lots of other great observations stockpiled in that post as well, if you're interested in perusing it!
Offline 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Reply: #8
(02-21-2017 11:58 AM)helloWorld Wrote:  
(02-21-2017 06:13 AM)Alienoid Wrote:  Holy crap, that's brilliant. That is actually brilliant. I might actually add that to the guide if you don't have any major issues with it. I already hit 15,000 words, might as well make it past that if I can.

If you do decide to add it to the guide, I only ask that you cite this wonderful post instead of me. That's how I originally became aware of this cute little nuance in his quirk, way back in my fanfic writing days. Lots of other great observations stockpiled in that post as well, if you're interested in perusing it!

Alright, I cited that Tumblr post, but don't think you got off scott-free yourself, bub. I've got my eye on you.

x1 x1(list)
Offline 02-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Reply: #9
Nice guide. Helpful to say the least.

It's been one long ass ride.
Offline 02-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Reply: #10
Wonderful! I actually feel like I understand Sollux now. Not enough to play him, I don't think, but I understand him, and that is a huge improvement. Thank you. : 3

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 1 Guest(s)