Freshness Rating:
  • 22 Votes - 4.41 Average
Insert Art Pun Here (Ministrife Requests Open) - Alienoid
Offline 10-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Reply: #621
RE: Insert Art Pun Here (Ministrife Requests Open) - Alienoid
(10-03-2017 03:09 PM)la devotee Wrote:  
Oml your sprites are A++++, you're a really good spriter and I'm surprised I haven't said this before???
And I want to ask - do you have any tips on spriting both normal and ministrife sprites? I honestly want to learn how to sprite nicely without having it look like a cyclone went through it :'0

Ah, thank you so much! I'm really glad you like them.

As for your question, I'd say... Yeah, I have a few tips I can share.

ALIENOID'S SPRITING TIPS
(Normal and Ministrife Edition)

[Image: PIRzUVQ.png]

The biggest piece of advice I could give anyone who wants to make Homestuck sprites is that analysing the intracacies of the style is important. The best way to emulate a style is to see how that style handles certain types of whatever you want to sprite: faces, clothing, proportions(!!!!!), et cetera, and mimic them. I got my start with Homestuck sprites just tracing over the canon sprites (because my first Homestuck-styled sprites that weren't shoddily compiled from bases (don't do that) were just bloodswaps), which I still do to this day. Literally, I always have a good number of canon troll/kid sprites overlayed on top of each other so that I can really be confident in my ability to match the proportions of the face, hair and clothing. If you want to have a convincing Homestuck sprite, one of the easiest ways to break that illusion is messing up the proportions.

With ministrifes specifically, one particular mistake (well, I say "mistake" but it's more a guideline if you want to be Ultra Authentic™) I see a lot is outline/skin colours.
[Image: lqvxExz.png]
Take a look at my Tracer sprite here. That colour you see on the colour picker is the colour of her outline. No, it's not solid black, or just a really dark grey, it's actually just barely tinted orange/brown/whatever you want to call it. Feastings (the creator of the Ministrife sprites) gives all of their ministrife sprites coloured outlines based on their signature colours, I highly implore you to see for yourself. Same thing with skin colour for the trolls! They're tinted their blood colour, Karkat included. You know what else is tinted? Their black/grey clothes. Guess what the theme is. It's their signature colour. So yeah, do keep that in mind.

As for regular sprites, I have one word for you: REFINEMENT. If you want nice, clean sprites, then you have to absolutely REFINE your sprites. Pour over the edges of every outline and take care of stray pixels, make sure every line is smooth and not awkward, the part that I lvoe most about how I sprite is the fact that I can get very clean, crisp lines. I'd argue that my style is cleaner than Hussie's, given the fact that we have canon sprites like this:
[Image: pHuZNGc.png]
Look at all those jutted edges. Geez.

Here's a small tip: if there's a detail that is only a single pixel, it's probably not important enough to keep, unless you're working with ministrifes in which every pixel is vitally important.

Speaking of colours, actually, reverse everything I said about outline and skin and clothing colours for the ministrife sprites when it comes to the regular ones. They're all completely desaturated (unless they're actually MEANT to be colourful), so do keep that in mind.

Another tip I have is examining the canon sprites to see how detailed your sprites should be. If they look TOO complex compared to the canon sprites, you're probably doing something wrong and should simplify, unless you're intentionally going for a more complex style, in which case, why are you reading this HOMESTUCK STYLE TUTORIAL. Very very very fine hair spikes that are so small that you can barely see them looks nice, but Homestuck's deal is that it simplifies shapes in order to make the characters easy to draw over and over. The more details you add, the deeper a hole you've dug for yourself.

I guess when I say I have tips, I mostly meant that I'd be explaining MY process, and when I look at MY process it's really just, me looking at what canon sprites have done and trying to mimic it. Research is your best friend, really. Grab a big, huge sprite sheet of all of the Homestuck character sprites and zoom in and try and see what Hussie did when spriting each of them. Or the ministrifes, take a look at their limbs and basically copy those as best you can.

Sorry I didn't have a lot of explicit tips, here, but this is most definitely a style learned through experience and copying, rather than university lectures. Grab colours and faces and proportions from the originals and draw over them, but don't trace them to the point of them just looking like the canon sprites. Use them as a guideline.

Okay so I do have ONE explicit tip.

When drawing hair, use circles as a reference.

You know how planets have gravity and orbits and objects near them tend to circle around them if they're going fast enough? That's good advice, listen to the universe.
[Image: ekyYQfC.png]
See this image? Imagine that red circle is the 'ring of gravity', and draw the hair around that point. Not strictly, just loosely, even though it's pretty round in this example because John's hair is pretty perfectly tailored to follow this ring.

I point this out because when hair doesn't follow this rule to some degree, it usually looks... Very odd and very bad.
[Image: q8BI5VJ.png]
I'm looking at you, CANON KURLOZ SPRITE (the right one is mine). Look at how far the canon hair's spikes deviate from that ring, those... That's not hair, that's a wig frozen in carbonite. Actual hair would not stick out that far unless there was enough grease in there to spoil a pig rotten.

But yeah, besides that, my biggest point is just. Study the canon things. Use them as reference. Actually draw over them. Don't steal their hairstyles or faces exactly, but if you have them as a reference, it'll be way harder to go completely off course, if that makes sense.

Happy spriting.
[Image: RZ0gixq.png]

Find all replies by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Offline 10-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Reply: #622
[Image: ZHV1fxK.png]
And here we have my first fantroll group*, all sprited in a single day besides the maroonblood. I feel accomplished.

*Strela doesn't count she was a solitary case.

Online 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Reply: #623
i fuckign lob them, this is some good quality shit right here
i lowkey wanna know more about them

[Image: 2tQlkLJ]

"so uh, space is pretty cool."
Offline 10-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Reply: #624
[Image: vJQO6Lo.png]
Because ministrifes are a thing I make, I made them. Woo.

x1(list)
Offline 10-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Reply: #625
[Image: ulQ96X8.png]
Made some ministrifes for a fantroll of my friend's!

Online 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Reply: #626
I really like a lot of your stuff, do you think you'd be willing to make a ministrife for this nerd?
(btw, not my art, it was done by a friend of mine)
As long as it isn't too much of a burden or anything of that sort.
Also, those fantrolls you posted a while ago look really nice, good job on them. Your spriting is really good.

[Image: unknown.png]
Check out Sburblin, a written fanventure by yours truly!
Offline 10-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Reply: #627
(10-11-2017 02:01 PM)Dilmec Wrote:  I really like a lot of your stuff, do you think you'd be willing to make a ministrife for this nerd?
(btw, not my art, it was done by a friend of mine)
As long as it isn't too much of a burden or anything of that sort.
Also, those fantrolls you posted a while ago look really nice, good job on them. Your spriting is really good.

Heads up, I'll need a description/visual reference of his lower half if you want a full ministrife, because from this image alone I've got absolutely no clue what he's got going on pants/shoes-wise.

Online 10-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Reply: #628
He wears black slacks and just some worn down sneakers.
Sorry about that!

Offline 10-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Reply: #629
[Image: FCknV47.png]
Boop dee doop, here you go.

Online 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Reply: #630
Aww. He's really cute, thanks so much!

Board jump:

User(s) browsing this memo: 2 Guest(s)